Solved

Can I trigger a notification for site activities instead of customer activities?

• 20 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

I would like to send an email notification to a group of internal people when various site-level events occur. For example, if an error is detected on the website, I’d like to send an event (e.g. “site-error”) to Klaviyo with data about the error. I could then create a flow that listens for that event and sends an email to a list with the provided data.

Is this possible?

icon

Best answer by David To 21 October 2021, 17:15

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @mreall,

That’s an interesting use case for Klaviyo!

I can potentially see two solutions to this, however both of which would depend on how you have set up and pushing this “site-error” event. The first option would be to have this “site-error” event triggered by a singular profile every time this event occurs. This in turn would allow you to create a metric triggered flow and an email follow up pertaining to this event to be sent to this listed profile from Klaviyo. You can then set up your inbox mailbox rules to have this email forwarded to your desired list of contacts. A variation of this method would be using a Notification step in your flow instead of an email step which you can use to outreach to your desired contacts as an automated notification. A downside to this method would be how you are unable to check on who opened or clicked on these email outreaches as they would be forwarded from your own inbox provider and not actually sent out from Klaviyo.

Similar to the first solution, the next solution would be setting up this custom “site-error” event to be triggered by by all the contacts you wish to outreach to. Because all of these internal contacts would be triggering this custom event, you can set up a metric triggered flow off of this “site-error” event with your desired messaging to be sent to these contacts automatically. A benefit to this method is that you would still be able to evaluate who has opened and clicked this email since the email would be sent from Klaviyo directly. 

I would suggest working with a developer you are familiar with or seeking a Klaviyo Partner who can help set this up! I would further suggest taking a look at some Help Center articles we offer on the topic of leveraging our API to set up and build custom metrics. I’ve included some below that I think may prove useful!

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +2

Thanks @david.to. What I ended up doing is creating a dummy profile in Klaviyo. I send the “site-error” event via the API using that dummy profile. Then I have a flow listen for the event and send a notification with all the event details.

It works, but there are some limitations. First of all, the dummy account shouldn’t be necessary as the event isn’t account-specific. Secondly, I’m limited to only sending the notification to 5 recipients, although I could get around this by using an internal distribution list.

I hope this helps someone else with a similar use case.