Solved

Random CURL Failures/0 Responses Today

• 4 August 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I’ve submitted three tickets on Klaviyo support but heard nothing back.  This is atypical, I usually hear within an hour or two but the oldest ticket is over 12 hours old.

Starting early this AM my curl calls to Track and Idenfiy API started failing/returning 0.  We made no code changes to these systems for weeks.  We log all failed calls and I’ve validated that all the JSON is accurate for these calls.  These failures lasted for a few hours before returning to normal operation.  System hiccup, I assumed, though there were no system status updates that I saw.

Unfortunately these errors started popping up again about 30 minutes ago.  All my track and identify API calls are returning 0, and all logged JSON is accurate.

Is anyone else having these problems? Is klaviyo having issues they aren’t reporting?  Is there some other cause of these seemingly random failure times?

icon

Best answer by cdetdi 26 January 2022, 01:08

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

After looking into this further it seems that we are having issues with verifying the SSL certificate from Klaviyo:

“curl: (60) Peer's Certificate has expired.”

sometimes the API retuns zero sometimes the ask fails.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @cdetdi,

Thanks for sharing your question with the Klaviyo Community!

With any outages or issues pertaining to Klaviyo’s system performances, Klaviyo will report them on the Klaviyo Status. You can also following along to this page to receive future updates by subscribing via the button in the top right. 

An API response of 0 is returned if the payload is not processed. This can be caused by a number of reasons. For example, a 0 response can be caused by having missing/invalid email, missing/invalid public key, malformed base64 string, malformed JSON, etc. 

Since you were able to identify this being cause by an SSL certification error, I would suggested reviewing this within your own backend such as checking if you have any outdated libssl, ca-certs, etc. that may be the root cause of these call failures. 

I hope you have a great day!

David

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

We are still having this issue.  Server host insists that our configuration is valid.  This is intermittent - it stopped happening for about 48 hours and is happening again.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

We are getting 0 responses for payloads that were accepted previously - we’ve repeated an identical profile payload that we knew was accepted previously and got 0 back. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Wanted to follow up on this in case others ran into the same problem.  Even though I had reviewd this a bunch of times, all the Klaviyo support articles pointed to a SSL certificate failure.  All my tests showed that my SSL cert was accurate, and talking with my server host confirmed this.  However, there was an expired certificate on a developer account on the same server.  Removing that expired certificate resolved the error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @cdetdi,

Thank you for sharing your learnings with the Klaviyo community. This will be immensely helpful to others who may run into a similar problem in the future. 

Have a wonderful rest of your week.