Solved

Sending email from the Klaviyo API

• 2 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hopefully someone can help me with this as so far I’ve drawn a blank.

I’m doing some investigation for a client who wants to move from Mailchimp to Klaviyo.

Basically we use the Mailchimp transactional email service to send single emails from code in their chatbot application. We create html for an email on the fly and send it via API which is all explained here https://mailchimp.com/developer/transactional/guides/send-first-email/

My question is, is it possible from Klaviyo?

Its a pretty simple idea to send an email via API..can Klaviyo do it?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Adrian

icon

Best answer by stephen.trumble 7 September 2021, 22:11

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @thebotforge 

Thank you for reaching out to the Klaviyo Community for help with transactional emails via API! Happy to help!

It is possible to send transactional emails with Klaviyo, but you must first contact our Customer Success team. Transactional email requests are manually reviewed and monitored closely to ensure that no marketing content is sent out.

Because your ecommerce platform may uses different dynamic tags than Klaviyo, you will not be able to import your transactional emails from your ecommerce platform into Klaviyo. We recommend reviewing the data for your specific integrations to see which types of transactional emails you can leverage out-of-the-box from Klaviyo template library. To configure other types of transactional emails, you can leverage Klaviyo's open API.

Hope this helps get you on the right track! Thank you for being a member of the Klaviyo Community!

Badge +2

Hi Stephen, 

thanks for getting back to me. However, I believe you misunderstood the question as you have confused my use of the term transactional emails with the meaning used by yourselves “A transactional email is an essential, non-marketing email.”

By transactional I was referring to the Mailchimp API and the functionality I’m trying to evaluate if Klaviyo will support.

What I want to know is can I send an adhoc email from your API where I have dynamically created the html content? Put another way does the openAPI provide a method to send an email? This email will not come from an integration it will be called from some external code.

The email template will display some product recommendations which will change but the template will stay the same.

I’ve looked at using event variables and a flow to trigger an emails but then I’m not sending this from an integration.

thanks Adrian

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @thebotforge 

Thank you for the follow up! Sorry for my confusion on using transactional emails and thank you for clarifying your original question. As of now, sending emails via API is not supported within Klaviyoin order to protect against the potential for spam. If there is any update in the future on this, I will update this thread.

Thank you again for participating in the Klaviyo Community!