Solved

Update Existing API Events

• 18 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hey everyone,

I just created an event through server side track api. I have also set the $eventid property in order to have a unique id for that event.

Is there a way to update this specific event.?

Kind Regards

icon

Best answer by Scott 18 March 2021, 20:32

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @spyroslina

Unfortunately, once an event has been recorded in your Klaviyo account it cannot be updated.

If there is a lifecycle to the series of actions that you are recording I would recommend creating a new event type for each step in the cycle e.g. the order process contains Started Checkout, Placed Order, Fulfilled Order events. Each can correspond to the same order however the event data will be different for each as new information becomes available further on in the order lifecycle. For example, a Fulfilled Order event might have shipping information where this data would not yet exist for a Started Checkout or Placed Order event. You’ll have access to the relevant event data in Flow emails triggered on that event.

Alternatively, if your event can be broken down into smaller components this might also provide you the functionality you seek. One example might be tracking a Cart within Klaviyo. Rather than tracking a cart in its sum, you can send Klaviyo an event each time the cart is updated. When it comes to using that event data in a Flow email, just make sure you have a Flow Filter set to exclude profiles if they trigger another event of the same type after starting the flow e.g. “Has Updated Cart zero times since starting this flow”. This will ensure you are only triggering the flow on the most recent instance of that event for a profile.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Scott

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Scott- 

Thanks for sending me this way.  I’m still not entirely certain how to handle this scenario:

1. Customer Places Order - Placed Order Event occurs, Flow sends customer email with order confirmation
  2. Customer Requests a modificaiton to order - “Order Modified” Event occurs, Flow sends customer email with revised order confimration
  3. Customers requests *ANOTHER* modification - we’re sort of stuck as we cannot send another “Order Modified” event for that unique OrderID.

While this only happens on a small percentage of orders it still occurs frequently enough for us to have a way to address. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @cdetdi 

I’d recommend appending a timestamp or date to the $unique_id (OrderID) property for the Order Modified events. This will allow you to continue recording those events for the same order.

Best,

Scott