Solved

Birthday flow setup

• 21 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi there.

I’ve collected a few birthdays through my Swell Rewards Program. Within customer properties, I can see the loyalty_birthday_date in 2021-05-13 format. However, when I want to start the birthday flow, and I select the “date property” as the trigger, the loyalty_birthday_date does not appear in the dropdown. I know that I can use the swell_birthday event to trigger this, but I want to be able to collect birthdays through a pop-up as well. 

Thanks so much.

icon

Best answer by David To 21 April 2021, 20:29

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @rachel1990

To trigger a flow based on a “date Property”, the profile property you are referencing must be in one of the following formats:

• 2014-09-01 13:34:08
  • 2014-09-01 13:34:08+00:00
  • 09/01/2014 13:34:08
  • 09/01/14 13:34:08
  • 09/01/2014 13:34
  • 09/01/14 13:34
  • 2014-09-01T13:34:08
  • 1409529600 (Unix)

Therefore, the format you have of YYYY-MM-DD is absolutely correctly! However, should there be some data within this property that does not match any of those Accepted Date Formats such as if at one point you collected the data as “May 13, 2021”; this would contaminate this data set and cause Klaviyo to actually see the data set as a Text format as opposed to a Date format. 

The easiest way to resolve this would be to create a segment of customers who has this specific profile property with rules such as “Properties about someone, loyalty_birthday_date is set”. With this segment, you can export this segment while including this “loyalty_birthday_date” custom profile property and within the resulting .CSV, locate any contacts/profiles who “loyalty_birthday_date” property is not in the accepted date formats. With these profiles/contacts located, you can either simply adjust them within the .CSV and re-import the .CSV back into Klaviyo or if there were just a handful of these profiles, you can locate them within your Klaviyo account by using the search bar within the Klaviyo interface and adjust this loyalty_birthday_date custom property within each of these profiles manually. 

Once these changes have been updated and applied, give the Klaviyo system some time to reconcile these changes and attempting to create a new flow while selecting the “Date Property” trigger as opposed to the one already created! We want to create an all new flow so Klaviyo isn’t caching any of these old settings or profile formats. 

Let me know how this goes!

David

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@david.to

I set this type of custom property for a client and have the same issue. So the data I see for the date shows up as 5/8/1992 for example, without leading zero for the month and date.  Is that something we need to correct?  Follow-up question, is there a way to force or add a leading zero when customers don’t as they type their birthday?

I too don’t see the Birthday trigger when I try to create the flow.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @MikeH,

The leading zeros for the month and day would be required for Klaviyo to recognize these fields as a Date format. At this time there wouldn’t be a way to for add or force apply these leading zeros to this profile property automatically. 

I would recommend adjusting the source of where you are collecting these dates for this birthday property to incorporate and ensure that it is being collected in an acceptable date format. 

Since these properties existing within your client’s Klaviyo account, I would recommend following the steps highlighted in my previous post of adjusting this date to incorporate the leading zeros to allow Klaviyo to recognize this property as a Date format. I would suggest reviewing the How to Format Dates for CSV Files guide Klaviyo offers on how to format these existing properties to be an acceptable date property using Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. 

-David