Solved

Klaviyo webhook lookup for "$" custom properties not working

• 19 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi, I’m trying to send back some custom properties via the webhooks system. It’s not capturing properties that have “$” in the front, such as “$id” and “$timezone”. It does work for our other custom properties that we store on user’s profiles.

For example, I want to send this json in a webhook:

{

"userId": "{{ person|lookup:'$id'|default:'' }}",
  "timezone": "{{ person|lookup:'$timezone'|default:'' }}",

“utmSource”: "{{ person|lookup:'firstTouchUTMSource'|default:'' }}"

}

The first two properties userId and timezone are blank, while utmSource is populated. So I think it’s an issue specifically with the “$id” and “$timezone” lookup fields.

icon

Best answer by Brian Turcotte 30 December 2022, 19:59

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @danatopen and welcome to the Community!

Would you mind sharing more about your use case so myself and other members of the Community can gather some more context? As noted in this Help Center Article, webhooks are only available in flows and can only be triggered by events, so I’m curious what event is triggering the webhook. 

As far as the timezone and user ID, profiles don’t always have values for these properties, depending on how they signed up and what information they provided. I would first recommend checking if the profile that fired the action has values for the properties. This can be accomplished by exporting the profile and reading the resulting profile information.

I hope this helps to clarify, and thanks for using the Community!

- Brian

Badge +1

Hey @Brian Turcotte 

Use case

We want to send a webhook event back into our system so we can show an in-app modal. For example, after they’ve completed their 5th activity, if they still haven’t enabled push notifications, then we want display a modal that details the benefits of pushes.

Missing properties

I checked with multiple users and they all had the $id and/or $timezone properties.

Not sure if you can look up one of our profiles, but here’s an example.

Screenshot of timezone and id in the linked profile

Badge +1

@Brian Turcotte any advice for how to deal with this? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @danatopen!

My apologies for the delay in my response. I spoke with our engineering team and while this isn’t a widely known issue, I have submitted a request to have this investigated more thoroughly. I will update the thread as soon as I hear more.

Thanks again for using the Community!

-Brian