Solved

Post purchase email with line items on what they ordered

• 7 April 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

I received an order update email from a company I ordered from, which looked almost like an order (or packing slip) in which they updated me on the shipping at every stage in the game. I liked that. They are using Shopify, so I guess it’s native to the program. I’m using WooCommerce, and there’s nothing similar.

I do have a connection to Aftership which keeps updating the orders, and I pass that on as a message to the customer. But it’s a very bland message, and I’d like to keep reminding them what they ordered.

In another post, I noticed how someone is using the Placed Order event and then filtering by a flow where AfterShip is out for delivery (or a similar) so I can know when to send the email.

But how would I get the products ordered onto the email?

Can anyone please help me how to create a flow for this?

Thanks!

Mendy

icon

Best answer by Dov 8 April 2021, 22:06

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @homebuilders,

Thank you for sharing this with the Klaviyo Community.

You can view all variables associated with any given event, for example the item name for the Placed Order eventby previewing a flow email in a flow triggered off of that event.

Once in the email template editor, click Preview on the left-hand side.

This preview window will show all of the data available for that particular event metric that can be populated in the flow email.

image10.gif

From here, click on any given item in the preview i.e. Item Name. That will pull in a tag responsible for dynamically displaying the item name for all recipients. This is known as using event variables to personalize flow emails. However, directly clicking on the tag and using the “raw” tag copied from the preview will only work for flows triggered off of particular events, for example Viewed Product or Added to Cart. These are unique events that only store a single value for each item, for example a single item name or a single item price. By default, they will never store multiple values and thus copying and pasting the “raw” tag from the preview into the email will work. However, in nearly all other circumstances, events (Placed Order, Started Checkout, Ordered Product etc.) store multiple values and here, copying and pasting the “raw” tag from the preview will not work.

For these types of events that store multiple values for each line item (for example Checkout Started for Shopify which stores multiple items in the cart), simply copying and pasting the tag directly from the preview modal will not suffice. This is because in these cases, we need to tweak the tag to account for multiple values of the same variable, for example 4 different prices for 4 different items. Klaviyo explains how to display event data for these types of events using event variable arrays here.

If you’re not code-savvy, do not fret. As long as you are using one of our main ecommerce integrations (Shopify, BigCommerce, WooCommerce, Magento 1 or 2) we have a flows library that, by default, contains all of the dynamic syntax you need to make this all function properly out of the box without coding the event variable arrays yourself. This dynamic syntax is provided within the blocks in these emails and are provided for all of our basic “out-of-the-box” flows that come along with the integration (Abandoned Cart, Browse Abandonment, Thank You flow etc.).

I hope that is helpful!