Solved

Sunset Flow

• 24 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hello Klaviyo Community,

I hope you are having a super day! 

Quick question: I am setting up a sunset flow using the Standard Klaviyo template - image attached-

According to this article: https://academy.klaviyo.com/improve-your-sunset-flow/1460196 -

“If after five days someone has not opened the email (s), a new profile property will be added to their Klaviyo profile to indicate that they should be removed from your list (Unengaged = true).” 

My question: 

If someone does go ahead and opens either of the two emails in the flow and does not  click unsubscribe using the link provided - Klaviyo will recognize them as engaged and therefore not create a new profile property? 

The new profile property will only be created if they don’t open either of the emails, is that correct?

Any guidance or help will be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you. 

Rox

icon

Best answer by ebusiness pros 25 May 2023, 18:26

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hey @smileyrox,

This is a great question! For your specific flow, based on the screenshot I’m seeing, everyone would go through the step for “Create Unengaged as True” since there’s no conditional split to check “IF someone has Opened Email 0 times since starting this flow.”

That said, here’s what I recommend you do instead for Sunset flows. Boolean logic (True/ False) tends to get tricky when segmenting in Klaviyo.

Sometimes, when you’re looking for profiles that have a False value on their profile for the Unengaged property, Klaviyo will also put people who have no value set for that custom property into the same segment. It seems to be because if they don’t have the value of True for the custom property on their profile, then the segment assumes it must be False, even if the property doesn’t have a set value for every single person. Because of this reason, I tend to avoid using Boolean data types when creating custom profile properties for my clients’ accounts. The String/ Text data type is a great replacement for this, and you can use Yes/ No as values, instead of True/ False.

What I do in my clients’ Sunset flows is this:

At the very end, after all emails have been sent, I’ll wait 5 days, THEN add a conditional split to check IF “someone has Opened Email 0 times since starting this flow.” IF it’s Yes, THEN I’ll have them go through a step “Update Reactivated as No.” I use “update” instead of “create” since the custom property already exists in the account.

IF it’s No, THEN I’ll have them go through a step “Update Reactivated as Yes.”

That helps you clearly identify people who have continued to stay disengaged, and then you can export that segment and import it into the Suppression list so they don’t count towards your active profiles.

List cleaning after the Sunset flow:

For the people who now have “Reactivated = Yes” on their profiles, I’ll keep an eye on them for about 1-2 months after they complete the flow, depending on how frequently my client sends campaign emails. Some of these people will go back to being disengaged, but a surprising amount of them will come back to the fold as active subscribers, and some even place orders while receiving the Sunset flow. If they disengage, then I’ll clean them from the list after 1-2 months of monitoring their activity.

One more thing:

You can use Opens or Clicks as your criteria for reactivation. Opens are a looser criteria and might give you some profiles who have the Apple Privacy Open making it unclear if they’re actually reading emails. Clicks are a tighter criteria and will give you a more specific view of who’s an active subscriber or not. I tend to use open rates as the baseline for engagement, and then use click rates to identify the smaller group of the most highly engaged subscribers.

I hope this helps!

~ Gabrielle

Klaviyo Champion & Marketing Lead at ebusiness pros

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @ebusiness pros :-) 

Thank you so much for helping guide me. I really appreciate the detailed answer.

I’ve updated the flow as per your answer, which makes sense. 

I don’t have the option to “update the reactivated” profile property. So I created a new profile property after the conditional split. 

I believe my “unengaged as no” is the same as your “update reactivated as yes”. I ‘ve attached an updated screen grab here. Will you take a look and let me know if I’ve achieved the same outcome?

Warm regards,

Rox

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Great work @smileyrox! I’m so glad you found my feedback helpful. 

Basically, “Reactivated” is a custom profile property that I’ve chosen to work with, so I create it in each of my client’s accounts. So in this case, your Unengaged property serves that same purpose, and your logic in the flow is set up correctly! You’re good to go 🎉  

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

You’re incredibly helpful, thank you @ebusiness pros - have a super day!

Badge +1

Hey @smileyrox,

This is a great question! For your specific flow, based on the screenshot I’m seeing, everyone would go through the step for “Create Unengaged as True” since there’s no conditional split to check “IF someone has Opened Email 0 times since starting this flow.”

That said, here’s what I recommend you do instead for Sunset flows. Boolean logic (True/ False) tends to get tricky when segmenting in Klaviyo.

Sometimes, when you’re looking for profiles that have a False value on their profile for the Unengaged property, Klaviyo will also put people who have no value set for that custom property into the same segment. It seems to be because if they don’t have the value of True for the custom property on their profile, then the segment assumes it must be False, even if the property doesn’t have a set value for every single person. Because of this reason, I tend to avoid using Boolean data types when creating custom profile properties for my clients’ accounts. The String/ Text data type is a great replacement for this, and you can use Yes/ No as values, instead of True/ False.

What I do in my clients’ Sunset flows is this:

At the very end, after all emails have been sent, I’ll wait 5 days, THEN add a conditional split to check IF “someone has Opened Email 0 times since starting this flow.” IF it’s Yes, THEN I’ll have them go through a step “Update Reactivated as No.” I use “update” instead of “create” since the custom property already exists in the account.

IF it’s No, THEN I’ll have them go through a step “Update Reactivated as Yes.”

That helps you clearly identify people who have continued to stay disengaged, and then you can export that segment and import it into the Suppression list so they don’t count towards your active profiles.

List cleaning after the Sunset flow:

For the people who now have “Reactivated = Yes” on their profiles, I’ll keep an eye on them for about 1-2 months after they complete the flow, depending on how frequently my client sends campaign emails. Some of these people will go back to being disengaged, but a surprising amount of them will come back to the fold as active subscribers, and some even place orders while receiving the Sunset flow. If they disengage, then I’ll clean them from the list after 1-2 months of monitoring their activity.

One more thing:

You can use Opens or Clicks as your criteria for reactivation. Opens are a looser criteria and might give you some profiles who have the Apple Privacy Open making it unclear if they’re actually reading emails. Clicks are a tighter criteria and will give you a more specific view of who’s an active subscriber or not. I tend to use open rates as the baseline for engagement, and then use click rates to identify the smaller group of the most highly engaged subscribers.

I hope this helps!

~ Gabrielle

Klaviyo Champion & Marketing Lead at ebusiness pros

Hi all, @smileyrox ,

I want to add a bit to this. The 1st grey box when you choose the sunset segment is actually important because there is a flow filter.

Flow filter will be your guard in every action step along the way. So any moment when they either open or click the email, they will be removed from the sunset flow, and therefore, not marked as unengaged or as @ebusiness pros said, “reactivated”.

(And thank you for noting about the boolean complexity)

Anyway, that’s just my two cents. Don’t alter the original sunset flow too much, Klaviyo designed it for a reason.