Solved

[Abandoned Cart Flow] {{ event.extra.responsive_checkout_url }} doesn't work

Badge +5

Hi!

My abandoned cart flow has been live for more than a year now. But as I was optimizing it, the tag {{ event.extra.checkout_url}} suddenly stopped working.

So I did some troubleshooting and found some answers here in the Klaviyo Community. I replaced the previous tag with the {{ event.extra.responsive_checkout_url }} tag and also made sure that the protocol was set to <other>.

I’m handling five stores under one Klaviyo account. While this solution worked on one store, it’s not working on the other.

When I preview my email and click on the link, one of these happens -- either I get redirected to a broken link (see screenshot) or another tab opens but it's just a duplicate of the Klaviyo email editor.

Is this a glitch or am I missing something? Also attached is the way I set up the tag. 

I’ve set my flow to Manual in the meantime. Appreciate your response, thanks.

--

Other things you should know that could be relevant:

• I’m using a both the old and new email editor in the same flow
  • I’m using the {{ event.extra.responsive_checkout_url }} tag in plain text emails.
  • This is how I set up my flow triggers (screenshot)
  • I’m using Better Cart

•  

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 1 July 2022, 21:39

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hello there,

I noticed the same problem on several accounts I managed and I don’t know what to do.

When I make an abandoned cart right away and test my profile on preview mode it sometimes works. But sometimes, 2 days later it’s not.

I tested it with {{ event.extra.checkout_url}} and {{ event.extra.responsive_checkout_url }} but it’s not working…

If we see a 404 error after clicking on the recover cart button, it’s what the receiver will also see, am I right?

I’m not the only one with this issue right?

If someone has a solution for this, it will be greatly appreciated.

Ps: I don’t know if it’s related but I noticed that Shopify has not the same amount of abandonned cart has Klaviyo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @gamegirl92,

Thanks for sharing to the Community.

This could be due to some things

1) Sometimes this leads to a broken URL - however only in cases where profiles already completed the purchase. So even if it is previewing a broken URL, it technically doesn't matter in this case since these emails wouldn't send. 

2) Sometimes the link is blank - it appears Shopify isn't sending Klaviyo a value for all customers. 

In these cases, the best we can do is provide an alternative link. But the important thing here is that because you are using Better Cart while trying to fetch Shopify event data, it will cause errors. Better Cart and Shopify wouldn't be passing the same metadata as a default Shopify event; meaning that randomly finding a variable ({{ event.extra.responsive_checkout_url }}) won't work.

Hope this leads to a fix,

Alex

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Nico01 ,

Please check that all integrations are properly set up and healthy. 

As for the Abandoned Cart email with the included discount code, we have been seeing recent issues with the redirect to Shopify checkout not working as expected. 

Our issue here is that the checkout URL comes directly from Shopify, so they will need to be consulted by your team about this issue. You can find this URL if you navigate to Shopify > Orders > Abandoned checkouts:

?name=inline-1186115922.png

You can look for any customer that has not yet placed an order, to find their most recent recover checkout URL.

From there, you can insert the customer's most recent recover checkout URL directly into you web browser.

When a checkout URL works properly, we expect to see a successful GET request with a 302 status code response. A 302 response code indicates that the resource requested has been temporarily moved to the URL specified in the Location header: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Status/302

The Location header for the checkout URL is found by opening the Network tab of the web browser's inspector tool:
?name=inline1176163237.png

The above screenshot shows:

1. The Request URL (which is the recover cart URL)
  2. The status code (which is a successful 302 redirect)
  3. The Location header (which is a proper redirect to the Shopify checkout URL with the key parameter applied). 

However, sometimes you might see something else, such as a:

• Redirect to your website home page
  • Redirect to a post-purchase order confirmation page
  • Redirect to a post-purchase thank you page
  • "Something went wrong" message (which is what I am seeing when testing the Abandoned Cart email)
    ?name=inline-87775080.png

If you are still seeing an undesired redirect, please work with Shopify's Support Team to determine why the recover cart URL is redirecting elsewhere. 

If you are using an app within Shopify that customizes the checkout page or customizes the post-purchase page, please note that this app could potentially be conflicting with Shopify's ability to properly generate a recover cart URL. 

If you see a "Something went wrong" message, then this means that the GET request was never successful and instead the request returned a 404 error response. Again, you will need to work with Shopify's Support Team to determine why the recover cart URL they generated is not making a successful request to redirect to the shopping cart.

To clarify, re-adding the integration ("app") in Klaviyo will not remove any templates, Flows, or any other content within Klaviyo. The only thing that will be affected is Shopify data that is stored within Klaviyo, which will automatically be added again once the integration is added to the Klaviyo acount - this is done via the historical sync initiated when you first add a pre-built integration like Shopify to a Klaviyo account. You should not be missing any information and you should not see disruption anywhere within the Awareness Avenue account. 

To refresh the app, as you have been instructed to do, you or someone with Admin permissions in Klaviyo can navigate to the Shopify integrations setting page and disable then completely remove the integration using the dropdown in the top-right, pictured here:

?name=Screen+Shot+2022-10-17+at+1.13.42+PM.png

Once you have completely removed the integration, you should be able to re-add it following our guide for setting up Shopify. If you are not able to do this yourself, you are welcome to forward this email to others on the team for them to reference. 

I would also reach out to Shopify’s support to get more information on their end.