Solved

Adapting email language in flows

• 3 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hi 

The market we are operating in has 2 languages (French/Dutch) just like Canada would. 

I’d like to set-up an Abandoned Basket email with the right language but cannot find any attribute and cannot use the location one as all customers are based in the same country (Belgium). 

Is there a workaround or am I stuck in sending these emails in 1 language? 

Thanks

Leo 

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 3 November 2021, 22:18

View original

5 replies

Badge +1

This is rather tragic for just about any multi lingual country.
I managed to segment sign up forms using the “contains in url” = “/de” /”fr” etc. Is there no way to do the same for the flows ? 

Hi Sophie,

You need to set the language as a custom property in Klaviyo profiles. i use PrestaShop, and I hired someone to make this happen: To read the /fr/ /es/ etc in the URl, then pass that value (FR, ES, EN) to my custom property ‘Language’

If you can do this, then the rest is easy, because you can set multilingual flows, with an email per language, and add filters to each email, so it’s only sent to a certain languge. it wors for me.

Badge

Hi Stephen,

So the aim is to have customers go into their language flow. I’m glad I can use segments to do so. But then the problem is in the segment sections. In shopify customers automatically go into their language segment based on the url they visit. But how can I use shopify segments in Klaviyo ? Not importing them manually but them being live and dynamic ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Sophie1234567z8u90' 

Can you share a little more of what you are looking to do with your flows? Once you have segmented based on language, you can build the flow with the segment as the trigger and then build each flow with the appropriate language. Let me know what you are trying to accomplish and I’d be happy to take a closer look into an answer for you!

Badge

This is rather tragic for just about any multi lingual country.
I managed to segment sign up forms using the “contains in url” = “/de” /”fr” etc. Is there no way to do the same for the flows ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @Leo Pure Electric,

Thanks for posting to the Community! You provided a great question and a good scenario that other Community users have also discussed.

So you are right in the sense that there is no way to distinguish different languages from the same country. Right now, the Klaviyo method to doing this was for customers who were already based in different countries with different languages. At this time, we do not have the capability to pair the language denoted in the browser URL with the flow content.

We're not able to account for different languages automatically unless you are already collecting subscribers and added a "Language" property. Shopify's Checkout Started metric does not pass website language data so we can't use that dynamically. We recommend using a signup form to collect a Language preference. You can then use a Flow Filter or Conditional Splits within any Flow to filter for this language property. This is outlined here in more detail: How to Customize Content Based on Language.

You could then create flows filter for segmented customers who either selected French/Dutch and then have different templates built for those languages. I’d also be more than happy to have this looked at as a product request to see if we can get this possible as a feature in the future for the Klaviyo product. 

Feel free to reach out if you had further questions! 

Alex