Solved

Advice on Abandoned Cart triggers

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hey, 

So I’ve been struggling a bit with the ideas on how to adjust our abandoned flow to make sure we’re not receiving any unnecessary unsubscribes and spam reports. 

But.. We have a lot of returning customers and, let’s say, some of them will enter the checkout with the same email address… With these current settings, they wouldn’t be able to receive any future abandoned emails even if they’ve purchased a while ago (30 days, 60 days after and so on)… So my idea is to change from “since started this flow” to X days ago. 

icon

Best answer by Omar 28 May 2022, 13:23

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @moodxmanager 

Thank you for asking the Klaviyo Community for help with your Abandoned Cart flow.

When first looking at your post, you have everything set up correctly. However you have the time delay set to 15 minutes which means that your customers can re-enter the flow every 15 minutes, which can be overwhelming. It is a best practice to set the time delay for abandoned cart flows to 1.5 hrs+. Also, abandoned cart flows are actually considered one of the highly engaged flows since they see such a high open/click rate. If you are seeing negative impact from this flow, it can mean you have an opportunity  in terms of overall account health.

List cleaning is key to maintaining good deliverability and making sure your emails land in recipients' inboxes. List cleaning allows you to accomplish the following:

• Reduce unsubscribe rates and increase open and click rates
  • Increase your deliverability scores with email providers
    Most major email service providers (like Google and Yahoo) track how recipients interact with emails from your domain — how many emails are marked as spam, how many are opened, etc. ESPs use this information to determine whether your emails are classified as spam. Having lots of unengaged people on your list hurts your efforts to reach those that actually do want to receive your emails.
  • Retain and engage customers
    By knowing when people start to disengage with your brand, you can know when to send targeted campaigns to re-engage them.
  • Personalize content based on your best customers
    By knowing that your list is full of real, active, and interested potential customers, you can start to personalize content around those people.

If you address your overall account health, you won’t need to address this in your flow filters. Hope this helps and thank you for being part of the Klaviyo Community!

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

One thing you can also think of is excluding people from the flow if they've not been in the flow in the last x days. This also prevents same emails from sending if people have started a checkout mulitple times.

Regards

Omar

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hey @moodxmanager 

Thank you for asking the Klaviyo Community for help with your Abandoned Cart flow.

When first looking at your post, you have everything set up correctly. However you have the time delay set to 15 minutes which means that your customers can re-enter the flow every 15 minutes, which can be overwhelming. It is a best practice to set the time delay for abandoned cart flows to 1.5 hrs+. Also, abandoned cart flows are actually considered one of the highly engaged flows since they see such a high open/click rate. If you are seeing negative impact from this flow, it can mean you have an opportunity  in terms of overall account health.

List cleaning is key to maintaining good deliverability and making sure your emails land in recipients' inboxes. List cleaning allows you to accomplish the following:

• Reduce unsubscribe rates and increase open and click rates
  • Increase your deliverability scores with email providers
    Most major email service providers (like Google and Yahoo) track how recipients interact with emails from your domain — how many emails are marked as spam, how many are opened, etc. ESPs use this information to determine whether your emails are classified as spam. Having lots of unengaged people on your list hurts your efforts to reach those that actually do want to receive your emails.
  • Retain and engage customers
    By knowing when people start to disengage with your brand, you can know when to send targeted campaigns to re-engage them.
  • Personalize content based on your best customers
    By knowing that your list is full of real, active, and interested potential customers, you can start to personalize content around those people.

If you address your overall account health, you won’t need to address this in your flow filters. Hope this helps and thank you for being part of the Klaviyo Community!

Thanks for trying to help, but speaking from experience, anything longer than 15 minutes correlates with not making money. Also, shorter delay shouldn’t mean higher unsubscribe and spam rates.

As for list cleaning, yup, already doing that, based on what Klaviyo suggest + some of my tweaks:)

As of not adding people to the flow for X days is a really good setting that I usually use, but in this case, I have API events that I believe will work a little bit better than this particular setting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @moodxmanager 

You are 100% correct. I completely missed what you said about using X days. Especially since you were worried about over sending to your customers. Im sorry that i missed that before. Also are you using Smart Sending on your flows? Smart Sending allows you to limit the number of emails or text messages someone can receive from you in a given period of time. This is a good way to prevent your subscribers from receiving too many messages at once if you have many active flows and campaigns. Just as another idea.