Solved

Behaviour of skipped profiles in a flow

• 19 September 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge +3

Let’s say I have a flow with 3 consecutive emails that are separated by 7-days of waiting. There’s a certain profile X who is currently waiting between emails #1 and #2. 

Now, what happens if I “skip” the upcoming e-mail for profile X a couple of days before the scheduled send-out-time? (when) will this profile re-enter the flow?

My guess:

• As soon as I hit “skip”, the profile will be removed from the “waiting” list of E-Mail #2 and be added to the “skipped” list
  • The profile will, however, NOT appear in the “waiting” list of e-mail #3 straight away, but only after the originally planned send-out-time of E-Mail #2 has passed - correct?

Looking forward to your answers!

THANKS

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 20 September 2022, 23:01

View original

9 replies

Badge +3

Thanks for further investigating. The thing is: I don’t want to add any splits or filters, because “skipping” an email for a single person would not be the rule - it would be the exception.

So … if you could feed this into your “wishes for improvement” list, I am sure Klaviyo users would appreciate it: A“one-click” easy way to skip a single e-mail for a single profile without removing them altogether from the feed.

Just saying ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

@Stefan for BIOBLO ,

Final notes from our Flows teams:

It’s not possible to have a person skip an email once they enter a Flow. The best option might be to have you add an “Additional Filter” to the second email that will ensure that they are not sent the second message and then let them move down the Flow to the third message. However, doing this would mean that a customer would need to wait 14 days before getting the third message (since there is a 7 day Time Delay after the first message and also after the second message.) Alternatively, you could add a Split after the first 7 Day Time Delay, the Yes branch would contain the second Message, another 7 Day Time Delay and the third Message. The No branch would only contain the third Message. The only caveat here is that they would need to determine what the logic is that you would need to add to the Split element.

Badge +3

No worries, we are talking about the exact same thing.

I call it “skip” because when applied, profiles end up in the “skipped” folder (which is not THAT far-fetched, you will have to admit!). But the button itself is called “CANCEL SEND”. I still cannot believe that this action actually kicks the profile out of the flow altogether, instead of just NOT SENDING (“SKIPPING”!) that one specific upcoming email.

BUT you are right, and the link you sent is very clear on that. SO I guess I’ll have to accept it ;-)

For reference, here’s the text again that answers my question (as quoted by you in your second answer, which I will now mark as “Best Answer”):

If there is an instance in which you would like to prevent a specific recipient from receiving a flow email, you can cancel the email for just that one person. It's important to note that cancelling an email for a single recipient will remove them from the flow entirely, and they will not progress to other steps or receive any of the remaining messages in the flow.

Case closed! :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

@Stefan for BIOBLO , can you explain the “skip” functionality you have been trying before since that is not something currently applicable to our flow setup? We cannot skip specific profiles but we can cancel them. We discuss this further in our HC doc How to Cancel a Scheduled Flow Email for a Single Recipient

Badge +3

Wow, so if your quote “It's important to note that cancelling an email for a single recipient will remove them from the flow entirely, and they will not progress to other steps or receive any of the remaining messages in the flow.” is true, that’s pretty dramatic news!!

I really DON’T want recipients to leave the flow entirely when I skip a single email!!

This doesn’t make sense to me at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hello @Stefan for BIOBLO ,

If there is an instance in which you would like to prevent a specific recipient from receiving a flow email, you can cancel the email for just that one person. It's important to note that cancelling an email for a single recipient will remove them from the flow entirely, and they will not progress to other steps or receive any of the remaining messages in the flow.

Since there is no way to “skip” a specific profile I am curious how you are going about this. We can cancel an email send in flows and send a profile under the Skipped category but that is all.

Also following up with a colleague about this use case so I will return with updates later.

Badge +3

Sorry, my wording wasn’t that accurate before - actually, I meant to say “(When) will this profile continue its way down the flow?”

So I am not asking about re-sending; I am asking about profiles continuing the “normal” flow after I pressed “skip” on a certain scheduled email.

Thx

Badge +3

Hi & thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, it doesn’t address my question at all!

Here it is again:

What happens if I “skip” the upcoming e-mail for profile X a couple of days before the scheduled send-out-time? (When) will this profile re-enter the flow?

So I am not asking about re-sending; I am asking about profiles re-entering the “normal” flow after I pressed “skip” on a certain scheduled email.

I hope this is clearer…. Thx!

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hello @Stefan for BIOBLO ,

There are two ways you can resend any flow or campaign email to a single recipient:

• From an individual profile’s personal Inbox
  • From the Recipient Activity view of a message

You can only resend messages marked as sent or skipped in Klaviyo. If a message is currently scheduled to go out or was cancelled, you cannot resend it. Currently, you must also resend messages one at a time. 

If you want to resend a flow or campaign message for a certain recipient, first navigate to their Klaviyo profile. Next, navigate to their Messages inbox and find the email you wish to resend within either the Sent or Skipped tab. Click Resend.

2020-08-10_15-06-34.png

Once you resend a message, the Resend button will show as Sent. If you refresh the page, this message will clear and you will be able to resend the message again if you need to in the future.

You can also resend from the Recipient Activity tab for both flows and campaigns. Note that after you click the Resend button, and the display will show as Sent. Refreshing the page will clear the message, and you will be able to resend the message again.

The process of resending a campaign is almost identical to that of flows. Click into the campaign that you want to resend and head to the Recipient Activity tab. There, find the profile who you want to resend the campaign to. Smart Sending is not applied to resends.

2020-08-10_15-10-43.png

This information can also be found in the following guide: How to Resend Emails in Klaviyo