Best practices for delivering two different lead magnets

• 27 November 2020
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
  • Active Contributor IV
  • 42 replies

Hi,

We are offering two lead magnets (freebies) in exchange to the email address. We want to send link to the download in the first email of the flow. 

I want to subscribe all them to one list, so how could I differentiate the subscribers for which lead magnet did they signed up?

icon

Best answer by Melissa.Matusky 27 November 2020, 17:59

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi Lina, 

Thanks for sharing this on the Community forum. What I’d likely do here is have them both go to their separate lists and then create a SEGMENT that is “Profile is in list A and is in list B”. This would allow you so still know who signed up for which, but have a “main” list of both. 

Separately, if these magnets are on product pages, or are labeled as products you could use the “viewed product” or “placed order” metric as well. 

Hopefully this helps!

Badge +2

HI @Lina-

It sounds as though you have captured these customers via a Signup Form that offers this giveaway.

If you haven’t yet set up this Signup Form, ensure you have created a separate list for capturing these subscribers. Within the Signup Form page you can select the giveaway list that you have created to capture all of these customers. 

If you have already created this Signup Form, you can filter by source. When creating a segment to send the flow to, you can add this definition below: 

Create a specific welcome series for every one added to your contest/giveaway list. This flow should contain 2-3 emails sent over the course of a week. Be explicit about why subscribers are receiving these emails in your content and subject lines by reminding them that they signed up for the contest/giveaway. In these emails, have a clear call to action that allows contacts to unsubscribe if they no longer want to receive marketing emails from you.
2017-12-21_13-56-42.png

Hope this helps!

Best,

Brittany 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Taylor Clark thank you for your response. Not sure what do you mean by creating a segment? 
If I will have two lists (A and B) in which one should I create a SEGMENT for further regular emails?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

bcheney thank you for your answer. 

Is there a special sign up form to collect giveaway leads? I cannot find any.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

We don’t have any specifically built forms for giveaways within Klaviyo, but you can customize any of our prebuilt forms for this! You’d simply update the $source to be “giveaway” on the form’s button:

Here’s our Guide to Creating a Signup Form that has helpful tips on how to customize your forms!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

We don’t have any specifically built forms for giveaways within Klaviyo, but you can customize any of our prebuilt forms for this! You’d simply update the $source to be “giveaway” on the form’s button:

Here’s our Guide to Creating a Signup Form that has helpful tips on how to customize your forms!

Thank you Melissa! That’s what I was looking for. How I did not see those hidden fields!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I have another question. 

How should I set up a flow if person, who is subscribed via freebie A, opt-ins again to get freebie B? A Welkom series will not start because the person is already on the list.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi @Lina,

So if those customers are getting added to a separate list than you can go ahead and have that list trigger another Welcome Series.

So in the scenario I’m envisioning, you’ve set up a Sign up form that adds people to a list specifically for freebie A which will trigger a Welcome automation.

If you set up another sign up form that adds people to freebie B list, you can have that list be the trigger for a separate Welcome automation. 

From there, if you need to add any additional parameters in the form of flow filters to limit who is and isn’t entering the flow.

Flow Triggers and Filters  

I hope this is helpful, but if your set up is different or the above does not make sense, please go ahead and follow up with us in this thread. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

@Lina Two ways to setup “Multiple Welcome Series” based on which form was submitted depending on your needs and how much (or little) complexity you prefer.  Like @Paul S and @Melissa.Matusky stated, earlier, you can specify a different source for each Form or simply use two separate Lists.  For example, you can have one form where the Source is “Giveaway1” and the other form the Source is “Giveaway2” or you can have a “Giveaway List 1” and “Giveaway List 2.”  

Both Forms Goes to the Same List

Then, you’re absolutely right that if both forms goes to the same List, then they will only trigger that Flow exactly once (unless they are deleted or unsubscribed) if your Welcome Series is a “Flow Triggered” List. 

What you can do, is create a new Segment called “Giveaway 2” where it segments all users whose Source = “Giveaway2.”  Then, you can create a New Flow that is “Segment Triggered” based on that Segment.

To take a step further, perhaps you have a “general welcome series” for the List, and two segments (one for each Giveaway Form) that triggers the Segment Flow Freebie email for each Form. 

The nice thing about this approach is you’ll have a “General Welcome Series” that applies to anyone that enter your main List, and then if they came in through either Forms (or both!) they can also get those Freebies without you having to duplicate all the same emails in your general Welcome Series Flow.

This method means you have the following Flows:

• List Triggered Welcome Series Flow 
  • Segment Triggered Freebie 1
  • Segment Triggered Freebie 2

If you were to add new Forms and Freebies, you simply just add a new “Segment Triggered Flow” and the respective email that’s unique to that new Segment.   This is the approach I recommend to keep things clean and extensible into the future and minimize duplicate message/effort and coordination.  

Each Form Goes to Separate Lists (Simpler Approach)

The other approach, is to simply have two separate Lists.  One for each “Freebie” and they each trigger a separate “List Triggered Flow” that has their respective Freebie and subsequent Flow Messages (that might be cloned or similar).  Since there’s a chance that someone might sign up for both Freebies, you should add some Message Filters (or Conditional Branches) so they don’t get subsequent emails that may be duplicative.  For Marketing purposes, you would combine the two Lists into a Segment called “Main List” (and any other rules), so that you can send to both “Lists” in one audience.

This is a slightly simpler approach, but a bit harder to maintain since any changes to one Flow have to be mirrored in the other.  And if you should ever adda “third” Freebie, you would have to do this a third time with yet more places that may have duplicate emails.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Here is some additional documentation about the difference between Segment vs List Triggered Flows:
Setting Trigger Filters

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Then, you’re absolutely right that if both forms goes to the same List, then they will only trigger that Flow exactly once (unless they are deleted or unsubscribed) if your Welcome Series is a “Flow Triggered” List. 

What you can do, is create a new Segment called “Giveaway 2” where it segments all users whose Source = “Giveaway2.”  Then, you can create a New Flow that is “Segment Triggered” based on that Segment.

To take a step further, perhaps you have a “general welcome series” for the List, and two segments (one for each Giveaway Form) that triggers the Segment Flow Freebie email for each Form. 

The nice thing about this approach is you’ll have a “General Welcome Series” that applies to anyone that enter your main List, and then if they came in through either Forms (or both!) they can also get those Freebies without you having to duplicate all the same emails in your general Welcome Series Flow.

If you were to add new Forms and Freebies, you simply just add a new “Segment Triggered Flow” and the respective email that’s unique to that new Segment.   This is the approach I recommend to keep things clean and extensible into the future and minimize duplicate message/effort and coordination.  

Thank you for your reply. I was actually looking for the way to keep only one list and am going to try this definitely. I think it will be much easier to manage only one list and only one Welcome flow.

Recently I did exactly this, that my “freebie” subscriber was added to my main list, and to the specific segment based on “$source”.

But I had a delay issue: my test email was added instantly to my main list, but the segment was updated 13 min later. Which meant that my segment triggered flow did not send out the welcome email with a freebie until 13 min later. 

Is this normal, that the segments are updated with delay? If yes, then “segment triggered flows” don’t work well :( If the person wants to get the ebook, subscribes, and the email does not arrive instantly to the inbox, then it probably disappoint many. 

I tried to search about the segment updates but the only generic information which did not answer my issue was here “how segments update”: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005233488-How-Segments-Update

Am I missing something or there’s something I can change in setting so the segments are updated at the same time the person subscribes to the main list?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

@Markus You’re actually correct - Segment triggered Flows can have some delay depending on the complexity of the Segment - whereas List triggered Flows are more and less instantaneous.  \

If instant reply is important to you, a possible work around is to send a message from a List triggered Flow first, and then any specific Segment emails after depending on which Segment they belong to.   

For the example described here for  @Lina where a Freebie/Download needs to be sent, you can have both a List triggered email (with no time delay) to send the first message to confirm their subscription and let them know that their “Freebie” will arrive shortly in a subsequent email momentarily.

@Markus You’re actually correct - Segment triggered Flows can have some delay depending on the complexity of the Segment - whereas List triggered Flows are more and less instantaneous.  \

If instant reply is important to you, a possible work around is to send a message from a List triggered Flow first, and then any specific Segment emails after depending on which Segment they belong to.   

For the example described here for  @Lina where a Freebie/Download needs to be sent, you can have both a List triggered email (with no time delay) to send the first message to confirm their subscription and let them know that their “Freebie” will arrive shortly in a subsequent email momentarily.

Thank you for the clarification! 

So if I have two different pages and each has its own freebie, and to receive the download link with the first email, then I should still have two different lists:

• List - Freebie 1
  • List - Freebie 2

And both should have their own flows:

• List triggered flow - freebie 1 (gets an email with a download link to freebie 1)
  • List triggered flow - freebie 2 (gets an email with a download link to freebie 2)

But after that, both freebie subscribers should start receiving the same “welcome email” flow.

If I understand correctly, then I should create only one

• Segment triggered flow

(segment conditions would be “include people in both lists (freebie 1 and freebie 2)”

And then I don’t have any duplicates, and only one “welcome email” flow.

At least I think this is one possible option.