Solved

Creating a flow which notifies customers when an item goes into production

• 25 January 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hi everyone, I would like to build a flow which sends emails out at the following steps in the order process: Order Placed, Creating your Bag, Item Shipped, and Item Delivered. I feel pretty confident about setting up triggers for all parts of this process, except for the “Creating your Bag” step.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to set up this kind of trigger? Setting up a custom metric with an API is the first thing that comes to mind, but I’m not sure where I could pull this information from. I’ve seen other companies create a similar reminder, but I’m not sure how they execute it. For reference, I attached a screenshot from an email I received which uses this kind of reminder.

It has also occurred to me that this step in the process could be “faked.” When most companies send this step out, do you think it is triggered based on the average production start date after an order is placed? Any thoughts or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Reference:

icon

Best answer by Julia.LiMarzi 25 January 2021, 23:04

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @patbullock! My first thought is that this is likely “faked” as you say.

If you know about how long it takes from when an order is placed to when your warehouse or 3PL begins processing the order, you can add a time delay and include the message in the order confirmation flow. This would definitely be the simplest solution.

To actually create its own flow with its own trigger will require some custom development. First, you would need the warehouse/3PL to communicate when an order is being packed or processed (whatever terminology they use). 

If you can get it passed into your ecommerce store as an order update — similar to when an order is fulfilled — you can create a custom API call with Klaviyo. Alternatively, depending on the tech stack, you may be able to feed that trigger directly from your warehouse to Klaviyo, but this may be more complicated.

Some resources that might help are our Guide to Integrating a Standard Ecommerce Platform, our API Reference for developers, and our Agency Partner Directory in case you need help finding a developer.

I would definitely be interested to see how others in our Community are solving for this though!

Badge +2

Hey @Julia.LiMarzi , I really appreciate the response! This helps a lot.