Solved

Cross Sell Flow Filter Trigger

• 17 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hey,

I wondered if someone could take a look at my flow and tell me where I’ve gone wrong in the set up.

We’re a bike company and if someone purchases a handlebar, it is likely they’ll need some handlebar tape to wrap around it. 
I’ve got a cross sell flow in action and its also a repeat purchase flow. 

Email 1: if they recently ordered tape or it was part of their handlebar order. They don’t need a cross sell email but after a year they’ll need to repeat the purchase. So I set up a delay of 300 days and they’ll get an email from us. 

Email 2: If they forgot to add handlebar tape and haven’t recently bought any. They need our cross sell email.

Email 3: If they got our cross sell and then made a purchase. They are going to need to repeat that purchase after a year. I set up a extra string for those guys.

Here’s my conditional split in detail:

I set the flow to manual to see if it was working and unfortunately no one entered it. 
I quickly created a segment to look for profiles who had ordered the handlebar / tape / etc, since I set the flow to manual. We’ve have had two orders where a customer was a subscriber and they order just a handlebar. We got a match!  

I must have my flow settings slightly wrong, could someone give me some advice?

Thanks Claire! 

icon

Best answer by Dov 18 November 2022, 19:37

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @clairebeaumont,

Thanks for sharing this. And thank you @Jakub for your helpful contribution.

Hi @clairebeaumont,

I think that flow will pickup new customer that make that product order if you want also include previous purchases you need to back populate flow. I don’t see any other issue with flow logic maybe someone else could advice anything else.

In addition to @Jakub’s suggestion - a few things stood out to me with respect to your trigger filter.

The first part of the definition pertaining to the collections (Collections equals Handlebars OR Collections equals Handlebar Tapes & Grips) looks fine. With that said, since you have an “AND” separating those collections with the next two filter criteria, (items doesn’t equal Condor Riser Bar OR items doesn’t equal Brompton Handlebar) keep in mind the flow will require that the user does not have a Condor Riser Bar or a Brompton Handlebar in addition to the order containing an item in handlebars or handlebar tapes & grips. Just to double-check that’s what you’re intending to achieve.

You may also want to consider updating the OR separator for the Condor Riser and Brompton Handlebar portion of the definition and use AND instead. This is because AND will require that the user meets all criteria separated by AND. In your case, this would require the user doesn’t have either of those items in their order (which is typically what our users want when they separate two items using “doesn’t equal”). For example, doesn’t have Item A AND doesn’t have item B. The issue with using OR is that they only need to meet one of the two criteria (separated by OR) to satisfy that portion of the definition. So say someone places an order for the Brompton Handlebar, they technically still meet that definition (and could qualify for the flow) if an item in their order doesn’t contain the Condor Riser Bar. The same scenario could work in reverse, if they have an order containing the Condor Riser Bar but not the Brompton Handlebar, they qualify because they meet one of the OR criteria (items doesn’t equal Brompton Handlebar).

I know “OR” vs “AND” can be confusing - that’s why we put together this wonderful guide to help guide our users to better understand these connectors.

I hope that adds additional clarity.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hey @Dov ,

Sorry for the slow reply. I was working through your suggestion and waiting for customers to order to check it. You’ve been really helpful. Thanks so much. 

Bring on the cross sell! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @clairebeaumont,

I think that flow will pickup new customer that make that product order if you want also include previous purchases you need to back populate flow. I don’t see any other issue with flow logic maybe someone else could advice anything else.