Solved

Do Users Stay in the Back in Stock Flow when they buy the item?

• 11 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hi all,

With the Back in Stock flow - when a user signs up to receive the email notifications, do they remain in that product flow indefinitely? So if it goes out of stock again, they will then get another “back in stock” email? And if they click on the “back in stock” link, purchase the item and then it is out of stock in the future - do they get another “back in stock” email when it returns to being back in stock?

Thanks,

Steve

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 11 March 2022, 16:20

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @ChunkySteveo

Welcome to the Community! We’re glad to have you. Happy to provide insight on this! 

Back in Stock Flow is a metric-triggered, vs a list-triggered flow,  this means that they can be re-added to the Flow is they perform a certain action. i.e. ‘Subscribed to a Back In Stock Event’  as many times as they perform the trigger action. In a similar way that a ‘Viewed Product’ or ‘Purchased Item’ flow works. A user who subscribes to this event, will not stay in the Flow forever, nor is it  considered best practice for someone to stay in a flow indefinitely as this is not what flows are designed to do. A flow’s purpose is to automate a certain part of the customer journey for a definite period of time. 

If the product goes out of stock again before the user in the flow buys the item after receiving the notification email, they will not stay in the flow to receive another. In short, after receiving a notification email that the item is back in stock, they will exit the flow. They will need to subscribe to the back in stock event again and go through the flow again. Additionally, if they do order the product in time before it sells out again and decide to purchase it again in the future, yet it is out of stock, they will need to hit the ‘Back in Stock’ button on your product page, which will again trigger them to be added to the flow again.  For more insight on this, I’d suggest checking out our documentation on How Back in Stock Flows Work and this helpful graphic from the first article I linked above. 

Finally, I’d check out our helpful Academy courses to gain more insight into Automating the Customer Journey with Flows

Thanks for participating int he Community! 

-Taylor 

Badge +2

Thanks @Taylor Tarpley for the reply. That really helps out. I was missing the idea that a flow was not a list, it makes sense now, thanks!

Badge

Does this mean that you cannot add in a reminder email after the first back in stock email has been sent? example: wait 24 hour and send another email “In case you missed it… Your item XXX is now back in stock”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @john-orchardagency

No, you can definitely add another email email to remind them! Great idea! I would create a conditional split that if a user in the flow has opened the email, but not purchased product since being in the flow, then they should receive a reminder email.

However, after they get the last email in the message sequence, they will exit the flow.

Hope this helps!

-Taylor