Solved

Double Opt-In and Signup Forms

• 7 September 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

Hi Klaviyo Team,

In our setup we have multiple Klaviyo forms on our website that require submitters to check an opt-in checkbox that sets the consent property to “email”. After that, the double opt-in (DOI) email is triggered from our main list to those contacts. An additional custom property injects the form contacts into a segment, followed by a flow triggered by that segment.

So far, I thought this is working properly.

However, I just realized that flows operate completely independently of the DOI status. This means, for example, that flows trigger emails to contacts that have not confirmed their DOI. I assume this is because the checkbox of the form already sets the consent property to “email”. Nevertheless, in GDPR countries it is crucial that a flow waits until the contacts confirms the DOI before sending emails.

Right now, I see two options:

1. Create a flow filter so only contacts enter the flow that have the custom property AND are also in the main list (therefore DOI must be confirmed). However, contacts are only evaluated once, so if a contacts decide to confirm the DOI after half a day, he wont be added to the flow anymore.
  1. Create conditional splits that check if the contact is in the main list before the first email. If not, create a wait step and check again after X hours, then repeat…

Both options are not really practival and I can’t imagine that is how you should do it.

Whats the best practice here?

Additional info: as we offer signups for free tools via the forms, contacts have to be able to sign up via multiple forms and receive different flow emails. That’s why we cannot use a single list plus flow filters as an entry point.

Thanks for your support!

Cheers

Max

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 7 September 2022, 20:20

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @DRMax,

Thanks for sharing.

I think with the current way your forms and properties are setup, there is no picture perfect workaround since there would always be something that could cause an error with the customer experience. It would need to be a flow that triggers off a main list (to check for DOI) and filters/splits for the forms or you would have to add a time delay to your flow between the form sign up and email being sent out.
Another way would to be to create a segment of profiles that have the signup form source 'AND' is subscribed to a list, then create the flow that is triggered by that segment.

It might take some time to play around with the setup and organization of forms. I would also advise reaching out to our Support team if you have not already since they can take a closer look into your account’s flows and form set up.

Thanks,

Alex

Badge +3

Hi @alex.hong ,

thanks for your reply. You are right, there is no 100% perfect way. With the DOI it has to work properly though, as otherwise you can get into trouble especially in GDPR countries.

I think your approach with including the main list in the flow trigger segment’s definition is the way to go.  I’m going to edit the existing segments accordingly, so we don’t have those problems in the future.

Cheers

Max