Solved

Finding "Placeholder image" in new editor

• 28 February 2022
  • 15 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hi there,

New to the new Klaviyo editor! Trying to create a static table for Abandoned cart email. Trying to figure out how to add a placeholder image here, as outlined in some previous conversations. I havent been successful with any of the options available in new editor. Please help!

Here’s how it works for a community member in the old editor:

Here’s a screenshot of the only option I could find (but still doesn’t work) in new editor:

Thank you for any help!

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 7 March 2022, 19:42

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @kara123,

Great question. I think that because this is an email template and not a flow, there is no event data.  You are trying to display a product image based on the variant ID of the event, but there is no event since this is now a flow.  If you used this template in a flow triggered by an event with a Variant ID, then it should work.  You can read more here.

Let me know if that helped,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thank you SO much for the tip. I was following this Abandoned Cart article while building the first email for the flow (I actually am in a Flow). I know the table must be static for Browse Abandon, but in the new editor I just couldn’t find the same “placeholder image” (as is found in the old editor) in order to add in the event url image. It did seem to work for the static text block in the table. I’ll read through your article more thoroughly and try to find what I missed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @kara123,

Here are images I found when testing on my own account with the new editor.

From the table block, navigate to the image section and click browse.

From there you can put in a dynamic url or variable for your placeholder.

Hope that helped!
Alex

Hi again!

Thanks for sticking by and helping me out, it really means a lot. Here’s some screenshots of what I did. The type works great. For some reason the image never shows up in preview, even scrolling through a bunch of profiles. Hmmmm..

Again, really appreciate the time you’ve spent on this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @kara123,

The images will be blank when testing but will show up if you send a preview to yourself. If not, please report back.

Thank you,

Alex

Went ahead and sent myself a test, image did not show up. Here’s what my flow details look like in Klavio. I think I have the variable in correctly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @kara123,

Thank you so much for your patience and cooperation as we work to finding a solution.

The initial step we can do now is to check the catalog for that specific item image, see if it’s coming in to the catalog. We can deduce that it’s one of two things either a) the image is blank in the catalog meaning there is a current issue with item images syncing to the catalog (integration related) or b) the image URL is invalid

I would also suggest trying to scroll through a number of different people in the preview, if it’s blank for everyone it’s likely an integration issue, check the catalog for images. If it’s only one or two people likely an issue with the image url for those specific items. You can copy and paste image URL directly in your browser to see if it’s working

A catalog sync should fix this as well. You can do this manually if you are Shopify only. If it’s an image URL issue you needs to fix that in the ecommerce integration first then we can sync it all up for you but you would need to contact Support.

Thank you,

Alex

Not sure if this confirms that the issue is not a catalog issue, but abandoned cart url event shows up just fine. I know those are connected to profiles, but the images are sourced from the same catalog of products.

I also changed it from Draft to Manual, sent a test and image still not showing up.

So I just went into abandoned cart and looked up what the dynamic variable/url was there. Here’s an image of what I used. I found this solution on some blog somewhere and it worked for Abandoned cart. I tried using for Browse Abandon, but no luck.

Here are screenshots of what DOES work for Cart Abandon:

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @kara123,

Allow me to clarify testing methods so we can find the pain point. Rather than inside the template, we should be checking the actual catalog tab (mentioned here) to reference the image for the product. I would also recommend testing the actual image URL for where your dynamic image is hosted to ensure that the image is indeed there so you can use it for your flows.

I’d also like to follow-up on what you see when you preview the dynamic image as different profiles since I believe that was a step missed from my previous response. Lastly, the draft to manual would not change the outcome. Previewing the email under different profiles and checking the catalog itself and the image url link should lead to finding out what the issue is. I would encourage you to visit your Setup Web Tracking page and following the steps outlined in part 2 of these instructions to ensure that the proper data is being sent to Klaviyo if no image data is being pulled.

All the best,

Alex

Hi there,

I just can’t figure this out. I don’t understand how there could be a catalog issue for Browse Abandon...since things work correctly and as expected in the Abandoned Cart email. Browse Abandon uses the exact same image link as Abandoned Cart.

I think we’ll just not do a Browse Abandon email using the new editor until it’s less buggy.

Thanks again for your help.

Also, it appears here that to have “Viewed product” work from Shopify to Klaviyo, special code needs to be manually added to Shopify liquid template. I knew this was true in order to have Abandoned Cart work without user having to click on “proceed to checkout” but makes sense this is why Browse Abandon may not be working:

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005080407-Guide-to-Integrating-with-Shopify

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @kara123,

I believe this still comes down to an issue regarding the overall build of the dynamic block as well as pulling the image. There could also be an issue with the catalog but as we are having miscommunication regarding the troubleshooting, I would recommend reaching out to our Support team to look into your account and provide specific assistance. They can take a deeper dive into your account since we cannot do that in the Community. It really helps our Support team if you provide a link to the flow email to them as well.

All the best,

Alex

Thank you for all your patience and time, Alex. I am really grateful to you and this community!

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @kara123,

Thank you for your patience and cooperation as well! Hopefully you can find a solution working more in depth with the support team! Thank you for also being a great Community member and hope to see you around here again!

Alex