Solved

Flow email triggers very slowly after simple segmentation

• 8 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hi community,

on my website, I have some free tools visitors can download after an email signup through a Klaviyo form. The logic behind it is really simple:

1. Klaviyo form submission sets property “source” to XY
  2. All “source = XY” contacts are added to the segment XY
  3. Being added to segment XY triggers the download email via flow

However, it takes a long time until the contact gets added to the segment and even longer until the first email gets send. All in all, between 20 and 25 minutes. I understand the segment needs time to calculate etc. but this seems extremely slow for me, especially for an email customers are waiting for. In the flow itself, the email is the first action - there are now conditional splits before it.

What do you think about that? Does this time seem normal to you, and what can I do to reduce it? I read somewhere to send the form contacts to a list instead of segment, as this would trigger emails quicker, but this would be contrary to the best practice to collect all subscribers in one main list, right?

What would be your advice?

Thanks a lot

Max

icon

Best answer by stephen.trumble 8 August 2022, 22:08

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @DRMax 

Sorry to hear that your segment isn’t updating as quickly as expected. Thank you for coming to the Community for help with this!

There are a number of factors that could be causing the segment to update slower than what is expected (in real time). I have a few questions to help troubleshoot first. 

1. Are you using a custom or pre-built integration? If pre-built, which integration are you using? Some integrations sync in real time vs some that have a delay in reporting to Klaviyo.
  2. Does the segment triggered flow rely on any “negative” conditions (i.e. everyone that is not in several specified lists) - these types of segments may update with a slight delay.
  3. What does the conditional split at the beginning of the flow look like? Can you share a screenshot? Depending on the conditional split and if there are any time delays near it, it can possibly cause a delay. 

However you are correct, 25 minutes is too long for your customers to wait for an email that they are expecting. Typically it should take less than 5 minutes for the profile to be added to the segment and the first email to be sent. You are also correct that a best practice is to have a single main list and segment by the signup form they consented with.

Please let me know the additional info so we can take a closer look at what might be happening!

Badge +3

Hi @stephen.trumble ,

thanks for your quick reply!

1. What integration do you mean? I currently have Klaviyo synced with Shopify and am using a standard Klaviyo form. The data gets updated in the properties almost immediately, so the delay must come from the segments/flows
  2. No, the segment and flow setups are really as simple as stated in my original post. Form submission changes value in “source” and this value in “source” is the only entry rule for the segment.
  3. Sorry for that typo. I wanted to say that there is no conditional split in it. The email is the first and only action in the flow.

I tested it again yesterday and it took about 15 minutes, which is a slight improvement, but still very long for this kind of operation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @DRMax 

Please reach out to the Klaviyo Support team so they can take a look at the account to see specifically what is going on. From what you are sharing, 15 minutes is still too long with the Shopify integration. When you contact support please make sure you add the name or ID of the list and the flow you are trying to fix so they can find the solution quickly for you! Thanks again for being part of the Klaviyo Community!

Badge

I have the same issue. When I reached out to the Klaviyo Support team the answer was: 

I'm afraid there is no solution for a time delay with segments updating. We expect that it can take up to 15 mins for a segment to update which is normal. If you notice that segments are taking longer than this or are not updating at all then we'd investigate this further

@DRMax what solution did you use in the end?