Solved

Flow filters "Has not been in flow at any time" and "Has not been in flow in the last X days"

• 27 August 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

I have a post-purchase flow with the flow filter “Has not been in flow at any time” in order to prevent customers from re-entering the flow while it is still sending out e-mails.  But I do want customers to re-start the flow after it has ended (the flow covers around 6 months, by the way).

Since the "Has not been in flow at any time" trigger has a special way of working (it is obviously only checked ONCE at the beginning of the flow, and NOT at every step of the way, like normal flow filters), I am not sure how I could make that flow available again for returning customers (for another round of the same e-mails).

My initial idea was to change the flow filter to “Has not been in flow in the last 2 days” but I guess this would lead to skipped emails because this filter actually IS being checked before EVERY step of the flow - correct?

So … maybe someone could please quickly recap EXACTLY how the filters "Has not been in flow at any time" and "Has not been in flow in the last X days" work.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 30 August 2022, 03:09

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Hey, based on this help article on the topic of a person being queued multiple times for a flow, it seems like the “Has not been in flow in the last X days” could be the solution:

https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002779491-Why-a-Profile-Is-Queued-in-a-Flow-Multiple-Times-

In this article, it says:

Note that the flow filter Has not been in flow in X days acts similarly to a trigger filter and is not available for list- or segment-triggered flows. List- and segment-based flows only trigger once, so there is no need for this filter.

So, that means it may not be checked at every step as the trigger filter is only checked at the beginning. 

However, I’m not 100% sure.  I’d be curious to know if this would work from someone in the community that can confirm.

Badge +3

Yeah, the article you quoted makes me 99% confident that the filter “Has not been in this flow > Skip anyone who has been in this flow in the last 24 hours” will only be executed once (upon entry) and will therefore only prevent customers from re-entering the flow but NOT from moving along through the flow.

Can someone please confirm this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Stefan for BIOBLO,

I would like to direct you to these two articles to help understand for future reference on how to work with flows and filters:

How Contacts Move Through a Flow

Understanding Flow Triggers and Filters

Thanks!
Alex