Solved

Flows to only Trigger once?

• 30 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hello!

I am trying to create a flow to send to a segment who purchase a product for the first time.

Ideally, I would like this to only send to the customer once during their life journey. 

How is the best way to set this up? 

I’ve set up my segment by categories based on Tags so it’s if a customer has purchased the product but I’m not sure how to set up the segment to identify the condition of it being the first time purchasing it. Or alternatively, how can I set up the Flow to not repeat? Since we do have some subscription based customers?

Thank you for your help in advance. (: 

icon

Best answer by retention 30 June 2022, 20:11

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

Hi @Ioana, welcome to the community!

If you don’t want customers in a Segment to go through the same Segment Triggered Flow, you actually don’t have to do anything since Segment Triggered Flows can happen exactly once.  So if someone becomes part of the Segment (first time they make a purchase of item in a category), they will go through a Flow that’s triggered on that Segment.  If they make another purchase of another item in the same Segment definition, then they will not go through the Flow again since they are either already in the Segment (or have been in the Segment before).

Klaviyo documents that here with more clarification:

Contacts can only receive a segment-triggered flow once. If someone is removed from a segment and then re-added to that same segment, they will not re-trigger the flow. If someone is removed from a segment before the end of the flow, they will stop receiving the email sequence.

If you have multiple Segments (one for each category) and you have separate Flows for each, and you don’t want customers to go through more than one Segment Triggerd Flows, you may want to exclude customers that have made a past order in the Flow Filter. 

You can set a Flow Filter where “Placed Orders Equal Zero All Time” like this:

Hope that helps!

Badge +2

@retention Hi!  I have a similar query to this, but it’s not regarding a segment triggered flow. 

I am trying to build a flow that triggers based on ‘fulfilled order’, but want it to trigger say, only 2x per year regardless of how many times a customer has ordered with us. 

I noticed there is a ‘Has not been in flow ...’ option in Flow filters, but the same thing is not available to choose from Trigger filters.  I don’t think putting this in the Flow filter is right (per my image), because the Flow has 3 emails, so won’t everyone be skipped at the 2nd email based on the Flow filter because they HAVE actually been in the flow before…?  

Appreciate any thoughts on how I configure this!

Thanks in advance, Zoe

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @zoecccp,

To start, I would recommend taking a look at our HC document regarding flow triggers and filters. This might help clear some things up regarding your setup.

Additionally, setting the Has not been in filter won’t affect those already in the flow, just limits those that can re enter from the beginning.

Badge +2

@alex.hong Thanks for the feedback :-) I didn’t realise that the ‘Has not been in Flow’ filter would only apply at the beginning only - figured that Flow Filters would be checked at each stage.  But this is good to hear - thanks!