Solved

High campaign unsubscribe rates

• 11 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi guys.

I am seeing high unsubscribe rates on my campaigns. 

anywhere from 1.3-2% which I am told is ‘alarming’.

I have taken measures to combat this - double opt in, list cleansing, only sending to ‘highly engaged’ segments and I have even included a message on the newsletter sign up that sets the expectancy of when the user will receive emails. Campaigns are always on brand with the content reflecting the subject line and our business. 

Despite this we still get high unsubscribe rates and I’m worried this will affect deliverability. All other metrics such as click rate, open rate and order rate all perform in the good to excellent category. 

one reason I have entertained is that people are using our ‘sign up offer’ and then unsubscribing after a few more emails.

does anyone have any similar experience/advice?

icon

Best answer by Edgar Emmanuel 12 July 2022, 17:09

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +15

Hi there,

I hope you’re doing well ! 

It is possible that the people in your database signed up for the wrong reasons (only for the welcome offer).

I would advise you to change this offer. Why not something like "try to win a $100 coupon code by registering to our NL. A new winner every month"

I hope this was helpful ! 

Feel free to send me a private message to schedule a call if you need help or want to optimize your Klaviyo account

Cheers,

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Alex_27 , Do you send the same campaign content to every subsciber that is engaged?

If yes, then you need to split your emails to send only relevant campaigns.

Expand your segmentation. You currently send only to 'highly' engaged contacts, but is it relevant to each person?

Here's what you can do: Split your campaigns based on frequency of purchase.

is the subsciber a first-timer or a second-time purchaser or repeat purchaser or VIP?

Now, send campaigns to these segments separately. You can go further to split it by segementing based on previous purchase or how much a subscriber has spent with you.

Also, how often do you send emails? Subscribers will feel bombarded with emails if become too frequented. Test on the number of emails to send weekly or monthly to see a threshold.

Thirdly, what's the content of your email list?

do you show too many items for customers to choose from? Does the CTA button lead to the designated place straight away such as their cart or checkout or product page?

Alex, adjusting these areas will greatly help. 

You actually said you are concerned it might have to do with your offer. It's also possible that a large part of your subscribers are discount hunters so they are looking for only discounts

You can tweak your offer and see how it affects unsubscribe rate. 

Try: "Subscribe and Get %OFF when you spend above $X" (customers who spend above these are genuine and loyal customers)

Or use competition opt-in form: "Subscribe to our email list and stand a chance to win $X gift card" 

Or use free (but highly perceived)gift offer.

You can also create a segment for any subsciber who has only purchased using a discount code and send them a different campaign or exclude them from the current one you are running.

Make sure you are actually delivering on your brand promise too.

It is also very possible that those subscribers who unsubscribe are just browsers. So don't be worried if they unsubscribe. It's okay

I hope this helps.

Regards, 

Edgar.

Badge +1

Thanks for this reply Edgar, very helpful! I have further segmented who we send our campaigns to in an effort to reach engaged shoppers. I will keep tabs and hopefully this will lower the unsubscribe rate!

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Alex_27 I'm glad that I could help. It's great you've segmented further. Trust you'd lower your unsubscribe rate with these!

Take care