Solved

how can i create a trigger flow if someone opens a campaign email?

• 15 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Is there a way to create a trigger flow once someone has opened an email that I have created as a campaign? Once I send one campaign email I want to send an automatic flow of emails instead of creating multiple campaigns. But a flow that goes with that specific campaign that was already sent out. Is that possible? What would the trigger set up be?

icon

Best answer by Manny Singh 15 July 2021, 05:43

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Hey @BelleMinks, welcome to the community!

So, you can do this, it will be a 2 step process.

1. Create a segment based on the condition of someone receiving that specific campaign (changed the action to Opened Email)
  2. Then create a flow with a Trigger criteria of someone entering that segment. 

To keep things clean and organized you may also want to add/update a property when someone enters that flow and exits it so you don’t send them too many emails from other activities (this all depends on what else you have going on).

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @BelleMinks,

@Mailbox Manny is spot on! One thing to note is if you have not sent the campaign yet, when you go and create your segment, you will not see the specific campaign name appear as an available dropdown dimension for you to select. This is because Klaviyo can only create segment definitions and filters for events that have already occurred within Klaviyo. 

To preemptively create this segment before you send out your campaign, you would simply need to copy and paste the campaign name and enter it into the dimension field. Keep in mind that when doing it this way that the segment rule is case and spelling sensitive. Any misspelling or capitalization errors will cause your segment to be inaccurate. 

I also highlighted this point in a similar Community post that you can reference below:

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +2

Hey @BelleMinks, welcome to the community!

So, you can do this, it will be a 2 step process.

1. Create a segment based on the condition of someone receiving that specific campaign (changed the action to Opened Email)
  2. Then create a flow with a Trigger criteria of someone entering that segment. 

To keep things clean and organized you may also want to add/update a property when someone enters that flow and exits it so you don’t send them too many emails from other activities (this all depends on what else you have going on).

Hope that helps!

Hello Manny,

I just created a flow following your above advice. The segment I created is for people who received a  specific email that  I sent last night. The segment immediately popultaed and got 2000 people.

However, the email was sent last night the flow trigger is set to “When someone joins the Flow”! So basically it will only send to new people who join :/

I clicked on the “Back-Populate Flow Recipeints” a couple of times but I still can’t see the 2000 users move to the “Waiting” or “Yes” sections of the Activity log. They’re all in the “No” section.

What am I doing wrong? and how can I get those 2000 email recipients into the flow?

Please hlep! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hey there @T_Sidany,

Thanks for posting your question to the Community.

Do you mind sharing your flow + segment setup/definitions so we are better able to see what might be causing the issue? Make sure to omit any personal or private information from your screenshots.

Are you looking to set it up for people who have never received/opened a certain email? If that is the case, I would advise that you make use of the 'What someone has done (or not done) > has Opened Email zero times over all time > where Subject equals ______'  filter. This guide provides more context into this as this method will provide you with a clear dropdown list of the available subject lines (see screenshot). 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Alex

Badge +2

Hey there @T_Sidany,

Thanks for posting your question to the Community.

Do you mind sharing your flow + segment setup/definitions so we are better able to see what might be causing the issue? Make sure to omit any personal or private information from your screenshots.

Are you looking to set it up for people who have never received/opened a certain email? If that is the case, I would advise that you make use of the 'What someone has done (or not done) > has Opened Email zero times over all time > where Subject equals ______'  filter. This guide provides more context into this as this method will provide you with a clear dropdown list of the available subject lines (see screenshot). 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Alex

Hi Alex,

Please see attached screenshots.

No, i’m not trying to set it up for people who have never received/opened acertain email. it’s the inverse of that, i am trying to set up a flow for people who actually received a campaign email.

Appreciate your time and help.

Tarek

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @T_Sidany,

Thanks for reaching out again with a screenshot and more details.

Typically, we see issues like this occurring due to some order of operations not followed when creating the segment and back-populating, or there were actions taken and parts of the flow were changed as it was being set up.

I suspect the cause of this may be due to some changes performed on the flow while you were setting it up and the contacts were being back-populated. Just to make sure the right steps are taken, I would advise resetting this flow and segment definition and starting over. Taking note to first create the segment, apply the filters, and then back-populate based on the second back-populate option.

Although there is no precise or final reason for what issue has caused this, these are steps we can take the eliminate possible reasons.

Lastly, I would recommend reaching out to our support team in the event that you are running into more issues and need someone who can go into your account as we are not able to on the Community.

Thank you!
Alex