Solved

How can I send an email to a customer after they create an account on a store?

• 22 July 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

I noticed that Klaviyo doesn’t have a trigger for customer account created and was wondering how to go about this. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 22 July 2022, 19:52

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Ming_LA ,

Thanks for sharing to the Community.

I think this would depend on your setup of how you are collecting customer data and what method you are using on your site to get an email.

Depending on what data we receive about those accounts, you may have to set up some custom code to accomplish this.  Whether or not you need custom code would be determined by looking at an example of a profile in Klaviyo that has signed up as an account. 

We strongly advise not to create a Flow that is triggered when an account is created. This can have a severe impact in your deliverability as not all customers who get a profile created would be accepting to receive Email marketing, which can cause a high number of unsubscribes and spam reports. Moreover, sending Emails to customers who haven't opted in for Marketing communications is a serious breach of GDPR law which can potentially cause your account to be disabled permanently.

Having said that, there are ways to accomplish this. What you can do is connect the sign up form to a specific Segment, and then trigger the Flow when someone joins that Segment. 

Please do note that it is not explicit in your Form that they are opting in for Marketing Emails. With the current design, it looks like customers are only creating an account and they may be unaware that they may be subscribed to receive marketing emails. Furthermore, the confirmation email that customers receive doesn't explicitly state that customers may be added to a marketing list, so again they may be unaware that this is happening. If a customer didn't actively choose to receive Marketing emails and they start receiving them, they will be more likely to mark your emails as Spam or unsubscribe from your List, which can have a negative impact in your deliverability score and can cause your emails to land in other customer's Spam folders. To learn more about GDPR and deliverability I'd recommend you to check out these articles:

Collect GDPR Compliant Consent
Frequently Asked Questions About GDPR
Introduction to Email Deliverability

Thanks,

Alex

Badge +2

I see. Thanks for your advice, Alex!