Solved

How do I unsubscribe users at end of flow?

• 17 January 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

how can I unsubscribe someone at the end of a flow

so flow is

• win back email after 60 days
  • win back email after further 15 days
  • if do NOT open or do not CLICK either of these 2 emails then I want to unsubscribe them from all lists so they dont get any further emails 

seems pretty simple in other email marketing systems so what is the process here.

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 18 January 2022, 16:51

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +30

Not a sure straightforward way per-say but this is how I handle contacts like this -

At the end of the flow, I’ll plop in the ‘Update Profile Property’ action and update a custom field I create in a demo profile called “Suppression List’ and then in that Action of the flow I update that field to be the name of the Flow or even just TRUE. 

Then create a Segment of anyone with that custom field filled in and then making sure this list is excluded from all sends and flows. Then you can also bulk unsubscribe/suppress them from all communications via the segment settings when you create a Snapshot of the segment and then upload them back into https://www.klaviyo.com/people/suppressed

A bit manual but hope that provides a bit of a solution!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @onepoundsweets,

Welcome to the Community! We are so glad  to have you here. Happy to walk through this with you! 

Thanks for popping in here @Spark Bridge Digital LLC, I think your suggestion in spot on! Our fellow user is referencing a workflow that is suggested for our Sunset Flow. A sunset flow is designed to phase out customers who are no longer engaging with your brand. You can use this flow as a last-ditch effort to win back their business, and then delete or suppress anyone who is not responsive. This will help you maintain a clean list and prevent you from sending to unengaged subscribers and possibly harming your deliverability.

Our help center documentation outlines that in this specific flow, users are sent through the flow when they are added to a very disengaged segment called ‘Sunset’ and send one or  two ‘last chance to stay subscribed’ messages. At the end of the flow, you can add an update profile property action to the user at the end if the flow as mentioned by @Spark Bridge Digital LLC. This will tag those who do not engage with the email and thus are passively indicating that they would like to unsubscribe. Configure the tag to specify that these contacts should be suppressed. You can do this by creating a new boolean profile property where the value "Suppress" is "True."

Our sunset flow documentation will then walk you through how to  create a suppression segment and suppress the users in this segment who didn't engage with your sunset flow messages.

Finally, I’d recommend checking out a similar question asked by a fellow user int he Community to gain further insight and check out our Re-Engagement Email Campaign documentation for campaign content ideas!

Thanks for your participation in the Community!

-Taylor

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

thanks for the answers I will look through these

surely be a simple idea to just have an option to unsubscribe someone as sendinblue has an option to “remove from list” as part of their automations which we previously used.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @onepoundsweets

Unfortunately, that isn’t an automated option at the moment. However, I will submit this as a feature request on your behalf and our suggestions should provide a useful workaround!

-Taylor  

Badge +2

I did all of this and created a segment with an OR statement for “Suppress is True”. But none of the Suppress is True are showing up in this segment. But they all show up when creating the segment with just this profile property. Please see attached screenshot for the discrepancy of 4,000 profiles. Any ideas why this would happen? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Malachi McG,

What would your overall goal of this segment be? 

From my experience, because you have so many more conditions in the highlighted segment, it's not surprising to not have the segment capture all of those expected 4,272 profiles that have this custom profile property of Suppress is True. Keep in mind that users must meet all conditions to be included in a segment; meaning that users who have this Suppress is True profile property may potentially be excluded from the segment for not meeting those addition rules. 

Another thing to be wary of is your use of the OR condition in the segment. Since you've paired the Suppress is true with the Placed order zero times in the last 400 days, users can qualify for this segment for either of these conditions. A different take on understanding this is users who have Placed order zero times in the last 400 days OR have this Suppression is true profile property as the base of your segment which would then be parsed out based on each of these additional segment conditions. This means that there are two possible ways users can qualify for this segment through meeting all the conditions. The two methods users can qualify for the segment after meeting all the conditions:

Method 1: Method 2:

What someone has done, Placed Order zero times in the last 400 days

AND

What someone has done, Received Email is at least 20 in the last 90 days

AND

What someone has done, Opened Email zero times in the last 90 days

AND

What someone has done, Clicked Email zero times in the last 365 days

AND

If someone is or is not suppressed, Person is not suppressed for email

AND

What someone has done Viewed Product zero times in the last 365 days

Properties about somebody, Suppress is True

AND

What someone has done, Received Email is at least 20 in the last 90 days

AND

What someone has done, Opened Email zero times in the last 90 days

AND

What someone has done, Clicked Email zero times in the last 365 days

AND

If someone is or is not suppressed, Person is not suppressed for email

AND

What someone has done Viewed Product zero times in the last 365 days

If you are saying of those 219 profiles that are captured by the segment do not have this custom profile property of Suppress is True, then I would suspect they may have been parsed out by these additional conditions meaning that this segment would contain primarily profiles who have not placed an order in the last 400 days. Alternatively, I would suggest further double checking and vetting those profiles captured by the segment. In my opinion, it would be very unlikely that of those 4,272 profiles, none of them would be captured by this segment which contained an OR condition.

The easiest way to vet and very this segment would be exporting this segment to a .CSV and see if this custom profile property of Suppress is an available exportable field. You can then also confirm this by exporting the segment while including this field for review and cross reference in bulk. You can find our guide on how to export a list or segment from the How to Export a List or Segment to a CSV File Help Center article.

David

Badge +2

Thanks @David To, my overall goal is to have one segment that I can use for List Cleaning/Suppression each month. The custom profile property is created when a profile completes our Sunset Flow without clicking on any of the emails.  

With the OR statement, I thought it would capture anyone with the custom property Suppress is TRUE OR anyone who meets all of the conditions connected by the AND’s….Which is what I wanted...a combined list of Unengaged (defined by the all of the connected AND statements), and all of those whose profile has “Suppress is True”. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Malachi McG,

Thanks for those additional details! If you haven’t already, I would suggest taking a look at our AND vs. OR Guide Help Center article that goes over the use of creating segments while using both the AND/OR conditions. 

Unfortunately, in this particular case, simply adding an OR condition to the segment wouldn’t act as a connector piece to achieve your goal of capturing users who have this particular custom profile property or meet those conditions to be defined as unengaged. Instead, including this OR condition to your segment would actually be used more so as a clarifying condition to further refine your segment and further parse it down. 

Alternatively, I would recommend keeping these two groups of users separate; your unengaged users as defined by those series of conditions and those who have this particular profile property of Suppression is True. One adjustment I would advise making is to include the “If someone is or is not suppressed, Person is not suppressed” as part of your segment capturing users who have the Suppression is True property. Since it sounds like you’ll be frequently using these two segments to list clean and suppress, including this additional condition will allow for easier organization and prevent you from repeated suppressing users who are already suppressed (though it wouldn’t impact anything). 

David

Badge +2

Thanks so much David! I’m keeping the two groups separate as you recommended and all is well!