Solved

How I send mail to a database one year after its purchase?

• 28 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

I have a database with people who last year bought for a birthday present on a certain date

for example bought for birthday on October 1, 2020

How do I use that database and send them an email on October 1, 2021?

icon

Best answer by retention 29 September 2021, 19:18

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

Hi @milovan9926 - welcome to the community! I recommend you take a look at this article that shows you how to setup a Flow on a “Date Triggered” event. 

It requires a bit of setup of custom properties, and you will have to upload the list of people with their “birthday dates” into Klaviyo.  But once the dates are in your users’ profile, you can then automatically send an email on that given date (or X days/weeks before that date). 

When you’re uploading your dates into Klaviyo, one thing that is often tricky is making sure the “date” is in a format that Klaviyo accepts.  Here’s more info on that:

As a bonus, instead of uploading dates into Klaviyo manually, you can also create a Flow to automate this in the future by setting up a Flow that adds the “date” to Klaviyo - you’ll have to set some Flow Filters to determine which orders are considered “Birthday Purchases” - but if you can, then you can follow this guide to update a Profile with that date: 

Hope this helps!

Badge +2

Hi @milovan9926 - welcome to the community! I recommend you take a look at this article that shows you how to setup a Flow on a “Date Triggered” event. 

It requires a bit of setup of custom properties, and you will have to upload the list of people with their “birthday dates” into Klaviyo.  But once the dates are in your users’ profile, you can then automatically send an email on that given date (or X days/weeks before that date). 

When you’re uploading your dates into Klaviyo, one thing that is often tricky is making sure the “date” is in a format that Klaviyo accepts.  Here’s more info on that:

As a bonus, instead of uploading dates into Klaviyo manually, you can also create a Flow to automate this in the future by setting up a Flow that adds the “date” to Klaviyo - you’ll have to set some Flow Filters to determine which orders are considered “Birthday Purchases” - but if you can, then you can follow this guide to update a Profile with that date: 

Hope this helps!

I am very angry, I have tried everything and it does not work for me.

So I have the profile (create a list with my email to test)

I did 6 different flows and no mail arrived. I did 1 at 3.30 pm Santiago time, another at 3.30 pm recipient time, another 3.30 pm Argentina time (in case it didn't work), another (3) two days before the anniversary. And nothing works for me !!

What can be?

My profile:

October 19

Flows:

flow 1

flow 2

flow 3
Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @milovan9926,

Completely understand your frustration in having troubles with your flow not triggering accurately. From the screenshot of the profile you are using as an example, I believe the issue here pertains to how you are recording this Anniversary profile property. Because this Anniversary profile property is being recorded as “October 19, 1990” as opposed to one of the supported date formats highlighted in the Acceptable Date and Timestamp Formats for Profile and Event Properties Help Center article, this profile may not qualify for the flow as the property is not understood as a date. The acceptable date formats Klaviyo understands to be recorded as a date data type to trigger flows are:

• 2014-09-30 13:34:08
  • 2014-09-30 13:34:08+00:00
  • 09/30/2014 13:34:08
  • 09/30/14 13:34:08
  • 09/30/2014 13:34
  • 09/30/14 13:34
  • 2014-09-30T13:34:08
  • 2014-09-30 13:34:08.000001
  • 2014-09-30T13:34:08.000001
  • 2014-09-30 13:34:08.000001-04:00
  • 1412098448 (Unix)

In addition, I would suggest taking a look at some other Community posts on this topic as I understand my colleague @Dov has a fairly thorough write up explaining creating date triggered flows and how the format must be correct. I’ve included some of these Community posts which have helped others below for your convenience:

On another note, did you happen to have the profile property created and applied prior to the creation of these flows? Because flows are meant to trigger automatically in response to an action, if the profile property was created and applied to the profile prior to the flow being created, then the flow would actually be expected to be sent out the following month of the profile property per your flow trigger set up. Without the flow being in place and set Live first before the profile property was added, the contact would not queued up for the flow until the next reoccurring event; which in this case would be November 19. Flows do not queue contacts up retroactively. 

For this reason, when testing your date triggered flows, we suggest having the flow set up and turned Live first using the trigger setting of On person’s [Date Property]. Then introducing a new test profile whose date property is meant to trigger the flow immediately. This will cause this new profile to receive the flow immediately after being created without any down time. When testing is completed, you can proceed to adjust and update the trigger as you see fit such as adjusting the On person’s [Date Property] to be Before person’s [Date Property]

Also, much appreciated on the great resources, @retention! Really loved hearing your experiences and thoughtful insights in setting up date triggered flows!

I hope this helps and thanks for being a part of the Klaviyo Community!

David