Solved

How long(time) does product from abandoned cart stay in checkout URL

• 19 February 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +4

Hi folks, I recently created an Abandoned cart email flow - with Checkout started as the trigger. 

It all seems to be working fine and the return to cart is also taking the user to the checkout correctly.

However i had a question on the time duration that product will stay in the cart for? Does anyone here have an idea? A user might add some other items to the checkout so want to see if this URL generated will be expired after a set time or this products stays in the cart/checkout forever until removed or bought?

any help is appreciated, Thanks!!

icon

Best answer by retention 19 February 2022, 09:02

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

Hi @ayushsharmaPMB - welcome to the community!

The cart expiration is dependent on your eCommerce platform which I see you tagged as Shopify.
According to Shopify’s technical documentation, and assuming you don’t have any third party apps or custom code or scripts, Shopify cart cookies should last 14 days from the time an item is added to the cart. 
And each time a new item is added or updates, it resets/refreshes the expiration time. Just note -  having an item in customers’ cart isn’t reflected in your inventory - so a visitor may still come back to checkout and Shopify will inform the user that an item is no longer available (should it sell out).
In other words, the cart just holds the items (and qty) to purchase (beyond a session) - it is not in fact reserving it for a particular customer. 
Hope that helps!