Solved

How to exclude customers with draft orders from Shopify from Klaviyo abandoned checkout/cart flows

• 28 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +5

Hi Klaviyo community,

Please help me. My client owns a shopify store and just recently used Klaviyo.

The abandoned checkout flow is set up already, but there customers who complains about  receiving automated email while they already paid their oders.

My client has a hybrid type of Shopify store where they accept “Personal Shopping Request” from their customers. Then they will just create draft invoices where they manually create invoices.

The problem is, I already added a trigger filter to the abandoned checkout flow [ source name doesn't shopify_draft_order] but there are still customers who already paid their orders but still receiving automated emails from abandoned check out flow.

Please help me. How can I exclude those customers who has personal shopping request or edited paid orders from Klaviyo abandoned checkout flow. Thanks so much.

icon

Best answer by David To 29 November 2021, 19:39

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @karen1628,

Great question!

Draft Orders or Invoice Orders are not data that are synced to Klaviyo from Shopify as part of the default integration. From my experience, when a draft order is initiated, a Checkout Started event will trigger for the associated contact, but a corresponding Placed Order event would not occur. This is because Klaviyo will not sync orders that are in the draft or invoiced status. 

For this reason, this would cause those users who initiated a draft order to still receive the Abandoned Checkout emails despite having already paid. 

One way you can manually remove these customers from receiving the Abandoned Checkout flow would be manually cancelling the email to these contacts. If you know the customer that you are creating a draft order for, you can search for their email using the search bar to be brought to the contact’s Klaviyo profile page. Next, under their Messages section, go to Schedule and you should be able to click on the Cancel option next to the name of the Abandoned Checkout email they are set to receive. 

A more automated way to prevent these draft orders/invoiced orders to be excluded from the Abandoned Checkout flow would be to identify these contacts through having a custom event triggered when this sort of order is made. Similar to when an event triggers when an order is made, you can custom code your own event to trigger and be recorded within Klaviyo when a draft/invoice order is made which would allow you to create a flow filter to remove contacts who trigger this custom event. To implement this solution, I recommend taking a look at the below resources Klaviyo offers on this and reaching out to a developer you are familiar with or finding a Klaviyo partner.

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +5

Hello @karen1628,

Great question!

Draft Orders or Invoice Orders are not data that are synced to Klaviyo from Shopify as part of the default integration. From my experience, when a draft order is initiated, a Checkout Started event will trigger for the associated contact, but a corresponding Placed Order event would not occur. This is because Klaviyo will not besync orders that are in the draft or invoiced status. 

For this reason, this would cause those users who initiated a draft order to still receive the Abandoned Checkout emails despite having already paid. 

One way you can manually remove these customers from receiving the Abandoned Checkout flow would be manually cancelling the email to these contacts. If you know the customer that you are creating a draft order for, you can search for their email using the search bar to be brought to the contact’s Klaviyo profile page. Next, under their Messages section, go to Schedule and you should be able to click on the Cancel option next to the name of the Abandoned Checkout email they are set to receive. 

A more automated way to prevent these draft orders/invoiced orders to be excluded from the Abandoned Checkout flow would be to identify these contacts through having a custom event triggered when this sort of order is made. Similar to when an event triggers when an order is made, you can custom code your own event to trigger and be recorded within Klaviyo when a draft/invoice order is made which would allow you to create a flow filter to remove contacts who trigger this custom event. To implement this solution, I recommend taking a look at the below resources Klaviyo offers on this and reaching out to a developer you are familiar with or finding a Klaviyo partner.

I hope this helps!

David

Thanks so much David. This really helps a lot. Now I know how to manage this issue. I really appreciate you man. Thank you