Solved

How to exclude users who signed up during checkout (Shopify) from welcome flows

• 2 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi there,

How can I set up a welcome email flow, so that only the users who came in through the popup and embed forms get the email, while the ones who subscribed during Shopify checkout are excluded.

Thanks, -oo

icon

Best answer by Bobi N. 2 August 2021, 09:39

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

@Doubleo 

I’m not entirely sure but I think you don’t sign up by starting a checkout but only if you place an order, so my suggestion would be you can add flow filter - Placed Order Zero Times Overall, and even if you can signup with starting a checkout and without placing an order, to be sure you can add another flow filter - Started Checkout Zero Times Overall

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Doubleo,

@Bobi N. is correct! In order for a user to be added to a list through accepts marketing and consenting to join your newsletter through the checkout process, the customer must fully complete their purchase. Customers who go through the checkout process and have the accept marketing checked off but either abandon their checkout or do not complete their purchase would not be added to the list. The act of completing the checkout process and purchasing with the accepts marketing enabled is what is considered explicit consent from the customer to join your list. 

Are these popup and embedded forms you were trying to target also Klaviyo built signup forms? If they were you can also use the flow filter rules of “Properties about someone, $Consent_Form_ID equal X (ID of your form)”. Since each Klaviyo built form has a specific ID, you can use these IDs as part of your flow filter to ensure these customers who enter your flow joined your list through subscribing from one of these forms. You can find the ID of your form from clicking into the Klaviyo form you wish to target and looking at it’s URL where you will notice a six digit alphanumeric, case sensitive string of text. Alternatively, you can also see the ID by reviewing a profile who already filled out the form under their consent details.

I hope this helps!

David

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @david.to and @Bobi N. 

Thanks for the responses. Just to be clear, @david.to you’re saying I should have multiple flow filters, each checking for a form ID, which makes sense, but because we have a bunch of forms on the site (popups for mobile and desktop, embeds in two places, GDPR versions of all of them etc.), maintaining a list of all those with IDs is not really ideal. Also, I’m worried that having that many filters for the trigger would slow the flow down.

I wonder if the following would work. I’m hoping the “is set” would check for whether a form ID even exists (AFAIK, Shopify checkout doesn’t pass any kind of form ID), and the flow gets triggered only if the sign up came through a form – any form. Thoughts? -oo

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Doubleo,

Great suggestion! The suggested method of using the “is set” function would work in this case. Since Shopify forms do not pass a $Consent_Form_ID field; only Klaviyo forms do, using the definition of “Properties about someone, $Consent_Form_ID is set” will ensure that only customers who have filled out a Klaviyo signup form is eligible for the flow. 

As you had mentioned, this would be a great way to limit the number of flow filters you have. Although flow filters may not be as impactful in email delivery speeds such as the points mentioned by @Dov, they will attribute some slowdowns as they are still definitions that need to be evaluated by the system to send the email. In addition, this would alleviate the necessity of keeping track of which forms you are targeting by individually selecting them. Keep in mind though that if you are using any other forms that are connected to this list such as a third party form or a Shopify built signup form, that this filter would not capture those subscriber sources. 

David