Solved

How to repeat same email in the flow

• 12 July 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge +2
  • Contributor III
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I have a question about setup a flow to send email everytime customer visit our restaurant.

Here is my logic below:

1. There is a property called ‘To be send restaurant email’ and the value is ‘Y’
  2. A segment included those profile based on filter property ‘To be send restaurant email’ equal to ‘Y’
  3. A flow based on that segment to send out the email 
  4. The last step of the flow is to remove property ‘To be send restaurant email’

So in my idea, the next time they revisit our restaurant they will have property ‘To be send restaurant email’ again so they would be included in the same flow again.

So far it worked for the first time. But the second time even they are in the segment already, it still don’t trigger the flow. Do you have any idea to make it work? Thanks.

Mars

icon

Best answer by David To 12 July 2021, 20:41

View original

8 replies

Badge +2

An update when the same profile in the second loop of the flow:

First step is send the email, which is success.

Second step is to remove property ‘To be send restaurant email’, which is not working.

In the ‘Update Profile Property Activity’ page only recorded the first time as ‘Completed’

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @Mars,

Thanks for sharing your question with the Klaviyo Community!

Since it sounds like you wanted this flow to trigger multiple times to users, the issue here is that you are using a segment triggered flow. Segment and list triggered flows are only meant to be served once to your customers. This means that customers who have already already gone through your segment triggered flow due to qualifying it would not be eligible to receive this flow a second time should they re-qualify for this flow. 

Instead, if you wanted to have a flow that can be served to customers multiple times, I would suggest using a metric triggered flow. Metric triggered flows will allow your contacts to receive the flow as many times as they complete the corresponding action and that triggers the flow. 

For your specific case, I would suggest custom coding an event such as “To be send restaurant email” to be triggered by your customers whenever a certain action is taken which would allow you to use this event as the flow trigger. This in turn would queue up your customers for the flow every time they trigger this custom “To be send restaurant email” event.

To learn more about custom coding your own events, I would recommend taking a look at the following resources Klaviyo offers. Alternatively, I would also suggest working with a developer or working with a Klaviyo agency partner to assist in building this custom event.

Thanks for being a member of the Klaviyo Community!

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

@Mars - If I may ask, in your example, how does a profile in your system get their profile property “To be send restaurant email” set to “Y”?

If this is done programmatically, then changing your API that updates the custom property instead to the API that sends in a “Metric” via the Track API will let you then build a Flow based on “Metrics” which can happen more than once.  For example, the “Checkout Started” is a Metric triggered Flow since people can do this many times in the course of their customer journey.  

Badge +2

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but I afraid the metric triggered flow is not work in my scenario because those profile is not actually created from any one of the ecommerce integrations.

Those profile is created using rest API and only have some custom metric, including a custom metric of last visit restaurant day. 

In my situation, I upload those profile in the next day they visit. For example, it’s 13/7 today and I upload profile who visit yesterday(12/7) and update their custom metric ‘last visit restaurant day’. How do I setup a flow to send email using this metric every time they revisit?

Hello @Mars,

Thanks for sharing your question with the Klaviyo Community!

Since it sounds like you wanted this flow to trigger multiple times to users, the issue here is that you are using a segment triggered flow. Segment and list triggered flows are only meant to be served once to your customers. This means that customers who have already already gone through your segment triggered flow due to qualifying it would not be eligible to receive this flow a second time should they re-qualify for this flow. 

Instead, if you wanted to have a flow that can be served to customers multiple times, I would suggest using a metric triggered flow. Metric triggered flows will allow your contacts to receive the flow as many times as they complete the corresponding action and that triggers the flow. 

For your specific case, I would suggest custom coding an event such as “To be send restaurant email” to be triggered by your customers whenever a certain action is taken which would allow you to use this event as the flow trigger. This in turn would queue up your customers for the flow every time they trigger this custom “To be send restaurant email” event.

To learn more about custom coding your own events, I would recommend taking a look at the following resources Klaviyo offers. Alternatively, I would also suggest working with a developer or working with a Klaviyo agency partner to assist in building this custom event.

Thanks for being a member of the Klaviyo Community!

David

Badge +2

@Mars - If I may ask, in your example, how does a profile in your system get their profile property “To be send restaurant email” set to “Y”?

If this is done programmatically, then changing your API that updates the custom property instead to the API that sends in a “Metric” via the Track API will let you then build a Flow based on “Metrics” which can happen more than once.  For example, the “Checkout Started” is a Metric triggered Flow since people can do this many times in the course of their customer journey.  

Hi,

I am using API to create or update profile with custom property. Not with any ecommerce integrations.

You said use Track API to build a Flow based on “Metrics” but what if I want to use the same flow even they visit multiple time?

I also have a custom property stored the last visit date as date format, can this one help to trigger the flow every time this custom property being update?

Thanks a lot.

Badge +2

Hi,

I have another idea, please help to take a look if it make sense or not.

I found one of the flow trigger called ‘Date Property’, can I use this to trigger 1 day after custom property ‘Last visit date’? Because I only see I can choose either day before or on that day.

Second option, I could also create one more custom property called ‘Last email send date’ and the date in it is the last visit date + 1 day, so usually the profile update date (13/7) is same as ‘Last email send date’ (13/7). Can you tell me if this possible to use Flow Trigger ‘Date Property’ and select the flow start ‘on person’s Last email send date’?

Thanks a lot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Mars,

Adding to @retention’s great points above, you wouldn’t require an ecommerce integration to utilize Klaviyo’s Track API to have a custom event created. In order to allow your flows to trigger multiple times to your customers, this would only possible by creating a flow triggered by a metric. Flows triggered by a list or segment are only served to your customers once. 

Although date triggered flows do allow your customers to trigger the flow multiple times, they are restricted to the date set in the contact’s profile. A date triggered flow is meant to be served to a customer either before their listed profile date property or on the date it occurred and does not support being triggered after the list date property. 

On top of the API resources provided prior, I would recommend taking a look at the following Flow help center articles pertaining to flows and their triggers:

David

Badge +2

Hey @Mars,

Adding to @retention’s great points above, you wouldn’t require an ecommerce integration to utilize Klaviyo’s Track API to have a custom event created. In order to allow your flows to trigger multiple times to your customers, this would only possible by creating a flow triggered by a metric. Flows triggered by a list or segment are only served to your customers once. 

Although date triggered flows do allow your customers to trigger the flow multiple times, they are restricted to the date set in the contact’s profile. A date triggered flow is meant to be served to a customer either before their listed profile date property or on the date it occurred and does not support being triggered after the list date property. 

On top of the API resources provided prior, I would recommend taking a look at the following Flow help center articles pertaining to flows and their triggers:

David

Hi David,

Thanks for your advice, it’s finally working now with metric~

My problem is solved, thanks a lot.

Mars