Solved

How to use variables to create designated emails for each flow filter with one basic email template

• 19 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

If you have multiple flow filters, is there a way to create a single email and create variables to insert customized sentences for each filter. These sentences would all go in the same place within the basic email template.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by David To 20 July 2022, 19:18

View original

5 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

Or is there a way where I can use variables to store customized sentences for specific properties and insert them into emails. 

Hope this makes sense 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @Joe Tang,

I would imagine you can accomplish this by either using Klaviyo’s show/hide function or through the use of if/elseif logic statements. The show/hide function allows you to target your email content based on information about your subscribers. In essence, using this feature will allow you to either show or hide a block if a recipient has a particular profile property or even if they’ve taken some sort of action thats been recorded within an event’s metadata in a flow. In a similar fashion, if/elseif logic statements can be used within text blocks - and even the subject line - to display certain phrases based on your if/elseif logic you’ve created. Once again, these logic statements would oftentimes be based on the recipient’s profile properties or event data properties. 

Our very own @Anna McCarthy actually has provided really insightful tutorials on both of these features in their Community posts below:

I would also encourage you to take a look through the How to show or hide template blocks based on dynamic variables Help Center article and other Community posts on this topic as this subject has widely been discussed!

Additionally, your proposed idea of storing a custom sentence as a custom profile property to have it populated in an email would also be a viable option as well! You can learn more about using custom profile properties and how to reference them within an email from our Profile properties reference Help Center article.

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +2

Thank you this helped a lot. 

Just more question.

How do I delete a space in “Hi {{first_name}},” when I have a contact in my list with no first name. Right now, for the contacts in my list with no first name, the email reads “Hi ,”. How do I delete that space between Hi and the comma? 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Joe Tang,

Glad that helped!

Instead of deleting the space, it’s actually easier to use a |default tag to your first name variable. This way, for those users who do not have a first name variable, you can designed something like “friend” or “there” - so instead of having a greeting of “Hi ,” you can have something like “Hi there,”. You can see more of these examples in use in our Profiles and Properties Glossary Help Center article in case you may have missed it!

Additionally, you can also use if/else if logic to rewrite the phrase as my colleague @Taylor Tarpley explained in the following Community post:

David

Badge

This can be achieved either through Klaviyo's show/hide functionality or by using if/elseif logic statements.Email content can be targeted using the show/hide feature based on the information about a subscriber.