Solved

Is it possible to have a Profile ID be used as a Barcode?

• 26 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hi There,

Just wondering if there is a way to have the Klaviyo profile ID of a customer displayed as a barcode in an EDM or if barcodes can only generate coupon codes.

We operate retail outlets, if customers loose their member barcode we want to be able to scan the last correspondence they have had from us. Using the Klaviyo profile ID is probably the easiest unique ID to use in barcode form.

Thanks,

Paul

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 28 January 2022, 15:44

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Off the top of my head couldn’t you add to customer profiles a base64 encoded image of the barcode?  It would just be text in the field, but you would just insert it dynamically into the email under and image tag.

Getting the base64 encode into klaviyo would be the “work” part of this, but depending on your integration, could be very easy.

Badge +2

Thanks cdetdi,

Got this to work with our integration into ZohoCRM and using google QR code api.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @pbau91

Thanks for sharing your question with the Community! 

While this is a cool idea, unfortunately, dynamic bar codes are only supported for coupon use at the moment and would not be able to function exactly like this. I am more than happy to make a feature request however on your behalf! 

It is worth mentioning that @cdetdi’s idea could potentially work, thanks for jumping into this conversation! As this is not a workaround that has been heavily investigated or validated at present,I’d encourage @cdetdi to run a test for it and let us know how it goes! It would be incredible to find a quick and suitable workaround for this option as this would be a very interesting use for coupon codes.

Thank you both for your participation in the Community!

-Taylor 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

It is worth mentioning that @cdetdi’s idea could potentially work, thanks for jumping into this conversation! As this is not a workaround that has been heavily investigated or validated at present,I’d encourage @cdetdi to run a test for it and let us know how it goes! It would be incredible to find a quick and suitable workaround for this option as this would be a very interesting use for coupon codes.

Testing result mixed but ultimate failure.

Basic test manually entering base64 image into custom field worked fine in Klaviyo.  Put into template and ran previews.

Trouble is that Base64 images are handled differently depending on email client - some are fine but, notably, gmail is finicky (read: doesn’t work).  So there will need to be a translation for bas64 into an image format somewhere for GMAIL users.

@Taylor Tarpley peraps feature request to allow for bas64 data to be translated into png on send.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @cdetdi

A heartfelt thank you for going above and beyond for your peer @pbau91 in troubleshooting a workaround for his issue. I will definitely pass your findings along, thank you for going through the effort of testing! This collaboration is what makes our Community great.

Have a great weekend, 

Taylor 

Badge +1

Just here to +1 the request for extending the dynamic barcode functionality.

In addition to customer profile, it would be helpful to generate barcodes for:

• OrderIDS
  • SKUS/PLUS

With click+collect/pick up in store growing as quickly as it is, having the email support the ominchannel interactions is so important.

Jacqui