Solved

Is the New Editor Auto-Save feature broken?

• 17 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

We've been facing this issue every single time we build an email in the new editor. We'll build the email, but when we click 'Preview and test' there are many blocks missing. Not all, just some. I have no idea how it decides which ones o keep and which ones to not. Even more annoying than that is when you exit the editor and come back (or refresh the page), and find out those blocks are missing.

Refreshing, or exiting and coming back, and then rebuilding the email with those missing blocks usually works. But obviously this is frustrating because we're doing twice the work for no reason.

Anyone else having a problem with this?

Not to mention that this new editor is outrageously slow… Typing anything inside a text block is a slog. We've been having to resort to typing everything in Word or something, then copy / pasting it into Klaviyo and having to format everything for each block. But that's another issue entirely. Is the new editor in beta? It's clearly very buggy and slow, but it's advertised as a new and finished "better" option when compared to the classic designer.

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 17 May 2022, 20:18

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hey there @dcmaia,

Apologies to hear your frustration with our new template editor. 

The reason these blocks are not saving correctly, is because the 'done' button was not clicked to save the block. A block within the new template editor will not save until this button is clicked.

?name=Edit_KL_TEST_-_New___Klaviyo.png

In summary, in order for blocks to be saved within the new template editor, the 'done' button must be clicked. A similar instance is true for cloning an unsaved block as that will result in reverting back to the placeholder text. Once the block is saved it can be cloned and will render as expected. 

In regards to performance, it is recommended to use Klaviyo in a Chrome browser. SASS software works best in Chrome since it is cloud based. Next, please try clearing your cache/cookies within Chrome. If your browser's cache is too full, then Klaviyo cannot run smoothly. We can also suggest updating your chrome browser to most recent version. If the browser hasn't been updated then it's running on older tech. However, the new editor and anything Klaviyo is client sided so if you are experiencing performance issues and not bugs, I would consider checking your device first.

Thank you,

Alex

Badge +3

Thank you for this Alex, we'll use the Done button from now on to prevent future headaches. However…

In summary, in order for blocks to be saved within the new template editor, the 'done' button must be clicked.

This is not true. Blocks do save even when you don't click on the Done button. We know this firsthand from designing and never clicking that button. If the expected behavior is for a block to only save when I press Done, why do some blocks get saved even when you don't click it?

Besides, if blocks don't save their changes when I don't click Done, why do I see those changes in the Designer? Shouldn't they simply revert back to before I made changes? It's misleading to see an email fully designed and not have any indication as to which blocks are saved and which aren't.

Most importantly, if I need to manually click Done to make changes, why even have an auto-save feature at all? Shouldn't a user expect the entire design to save when clicking a button called Save?

Is this by design or is this functionality still being implemented?

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @dcmaia ,

For starters, the new editor does have an auto-save feature similar to our old editor you are correct. Pressing the done option is another method to save it and we like to push that onto people as a best practice like how one would save a document instead of relying on autosave or in case of something going wrong. Some reasons why changes may not save could potentially be because you may have multiple tabs open of the same editor or other users are making changes to the same template. Our template isn't like a google doc where you can cross collaborate and multiple running instances can cause some weird behavior. Since it sounds like you are refreshing the page and rebuilding the template, it seems to explain this behavior mentioned above. Essentially you'll only want to edit and make changes to one session of the editor at a time. This behavior is also something found in the old editor as well.

Another reason this could be happening is if it has something to do with your block behavior such as setting blocks to mobile or desktop specific and not viewing in the respective viewer. Also it depends on if you have any show/hide functionality or code in how you are building the blocks too. There are many variables as to why blocks won’t display and more info can be found in this related community post:

All the best,

Alex

Badge +2

Hi there

I’d like to hear an answer to dcmaia’s question ‘Is this by design or is this functionality still being implemented?’

And; if you need users to always click ‘Done’, why don’t you implement a pop-up saying ‘Are you sure you wan’t to leave the content block without clicking ‘Done’ to save changes?’ whenever a user is about to leave a content block without clicking ‘Done’?

I am using Chrome, I don’t work in several sessions at a time, nor are we 2 users in the same template, and I experience the exact same issues as dcmaia + some more in regards to the formatting (text colour selection, removing bold characters etc.). Please tell me that you’re not done implementing the new editor and that I didn’t make a huge mistake by changing from Mailchimp til Klaviyo 🙏

Thanks,

Mette

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Mettem,

With the New Editor, this system features an auto-save function, which is described here. As I mentioned previously, pressing the done option is another method to save it and we like to push that onto people as a best practice like how one would save a document instead of relying on autosave or in case of something going wrong. So while we might not require a hard save, it is a practice that customers can use and a habit they can build. I like the idea of a confirmation button and will push that to the feature request team. Even if you are logged out after a period of time, all previous work would be 100% saved due to this auto save feature. If you are not currently using the New Email Template Editor, you can learn more about using this feature here. I would also recommend getting in touch with our Support team so they can actually look into your template and diagnose whether the problems you are facing are a product related issue or your user error.

Our product team is also working on constantly updating the new editor to be more intuitive and easy to use so thank you for your patience as this time.

Alex

Badge +3

I'm revisiting this topic, because we're running into trouble with this again.

1. Rearranging blocks, then clicking 'Done' sometimes doesn't save that commit the change. We'll preview the email and everything is out of order. Clicking 'Save and Exit', despite the name, doesn't save it. We come back in, and things are out of order. The only way we know to get around this reliably is to rearrange one block, refresh, see what got put out of order, rearrange that one, refresh, and so on. 
  2. This one is extra annoying because we haven't even figured out how to get around it yet. Selecting a text box, changing the color of the text, then clicking 'Done'. The text changes color, and the color change is reflected in the builder. Nice. However, when we click 'Preview and Test', it still shows the old color! Not only that, but if we click on 'Save and Exit' and come back in, it's the old color again! Also happens when we refresh the page. Nothing we do commits the change. Luckily, it's just text color so not a giant deal, but I don't see what we're doing wrong here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @dcmaia

Your browser could be holding on to a bad or delayed network session, causing a hiccup. I recommend clearing your browser cookies(cache), logging back in to Klaviyo, and attempt to test the template again. I know you stated that this is something that occurs intermittently, so I would actually recommend reaching out to our Support team so that they can take a better look into your account that we cannot do here.

Best,

Alex