Solved

Klaviyo Post Purchase Email with Points Earned

• 24 November 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +4

I have Klaviyo on my Woocommerce site running Woocommerce Points and Rewards plugin. How do I call out the customer’s points earned on a post purchase email such as the Thank You and replenishment or winback emails? I want to be able to show the customer’s points earned or existing points in an email. 

icon

Best answer by Dov 26 November 2021, 16:53

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @GoodVibes123,

Thank you for sharing this question with the Community.

Klaviyo’s ability to call out points earned in an email, relies on the plug-in sending that data to Klaviyo, typically this information is sent to Klaviyo as a custom property. I do not believe that particular WooCommerce plug-in sends us this information at this time. 

With that said, in theory, if the customer’s points earned entered Klaviyo from the plug-in as a custom property, you would use the person look-up tag to pull that value into the email. For example, if the custom property were “points” you would use the following tag in your email to display the number of points {{ person|lookup:’points’ }}

I strongly recommend reading through the article here on template tags and variable syntax to better understand how tags can dynamically pull in information into your Klaviyo emails. 

Now, there are other integrations that currently send loyalty/rewards points to Klaviyo as custom properties so you can use these values in your Klaviyo emails. I recommend getting engaged with one of those. Some popular loyalty and reward programs clients use with Klaviyo are Loyalty LionSmile.io, and Yotpo

There are a few more threads circulating in the community that touch upon this topic as well. I’m linking those below.

I hope that is helpful! 

Badge +4

@Dov thank you so much for the reply and assistance. The plugin I am using is called Woocommerce Points & Rewards and although this particular plugin doesn’t give me the ability to create a Klaviyo custom property, Woocommerce stores the points data with the user/customer profile. As such, based on what you are telling me, can we use this points data that is stored in Woocommerce to call it out in a Klaviyo email? 

For example, customer makes a purchase on my website and earns 100 points. Those points will be stored in the database on my website under the customer’s profile (email address). On Klaviyo’s user profile, we should be able to see the Points associated with the user and in turn use the person look-up tag to call it out in an email. Does that sound like it will work?

Badge +4

@dov according to Woocommerce Points and Rewards dev team, here is how the points are stored on the database: 

Points are stored in the $prefix . ‘_wc_points_rewards_user_points` table. When we query the total points a user has, we do a sum of all the items with the same user id in the list.

How can I create an automated way for klaviyo to capture this as a custom property for user profile? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @GoodVibes123,

Of course, my pleasure. Glad I was able to help :).

@Dov thank you so much for the reply and assistance. The plugin I am using is called Woocommerce Points & Rewards and although this particular plugin doesn’t give me the ability to create a Klaviyo custom property, Woocommerce stores the points data with the user/customer profile. As such, based on what you are telling me, can we use this points data that is stored in Woocommerce to call it out in a Klaviyo email? 

For example, customer makes a purchase on my website and earns 100 points. Those points will be stored in the database on my website under the customer’s profile (email address). On Klaviyo’s user profile, we should be able to see the Points associated with the user and in turn use the person look-up tag to call it out in an email. Does that sound like it will work?

Understood. The missing part of this solution is getting the points from the plug-in into Klaviyo, (as you pointed out in your follow-up reply). From there, you would be able to use Klaviyo to push the points data from the profile into your Klaviyo emails. If the points are not already automatically being posted to Klaviyo from the plug-in, then we won’t be able to achieve that at this time. With that said, since the plug-in is a part of WooCommerce, I will file a feature request to see if we can add this property to sync over as a custom property field in Klaviyo at a later date. But that wouldn't be something we would necessarily achieve anytime soon.

In the meantime, there are two alternative solutions. The first is to export the field for email address, and the field for points from the WooCommerce database in a .csv file, and upload that into Klaviyo. If the profile already exists in Klaviyo, Klaviyo will retain all other data pertaining to the user profile and will not create a duplicate profile. The uploaded file will add the points property as a custom property to the profile. From there, follow the steps in the original solution using the person lookup tags to populate the points in your Klaviyo emails. The second solution is to use one of the third party integrations that already automatically generates points/loyalty points in Klaviyo and posts them to the profile (as mentioned in the original solution). 

I hope that is helpful!