Solved

Mailchimp Opened Email Metric Triggered in Klaviyo ?

• 11 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I’m trying to setup a Flow trigger that triggers if a user receives or clicks on an email. I noticed that there is not Klaviyo specific flow for this, but there are Mailchimp Flows for this? I’m wondering why Mailchimp has more advanced email triggers than Klaviyo? 

Is there no way to do this in Klaviyo? Seems like a pretty powerful feature. 

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 13 September 2021, 23:03

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @jmacman ,

Thanks for your post in the Community and hope to provide some insight on this topic!

To begin, may I ask what might be the best use case you have for an “Opened Email” metric trigger? Consider the scenario where you have this as a metric trigger but customers go back and reclick their old emails. Then it would send the same email to customers and customers might feel like this is too spammy for them, and unsubscribe/ not like your business. Klaviyo specifically excludes these metrics from being able to be used a flow trigger to be as less spammy as possible.

The reason you can still see these as options when creating a flow is because Klaviyo doesn't have any extra limitation in place when other ecommerce integrations share click or open data. Keep in mind, that as a best practice those integrations shouldn't be used as data for events to trigger off of as businesses should technically be already transitioned to Klaviyo at that point and using MailChimp in tandem with Klaviyo wouldn't go well with deliverability.

That being said, you technically can create such a flow by using a segment triggered flow with the rules someone opening or clicking an email. The difference here is that segment triggered flows only allow customers to go through once. Unlike a metric triggered flow to allow customers to go through multiple times.

Hope this helped!

Alex

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Thanks for the response. The issue I’m having is that I just transferred all of my data over to Shopify and Klaviyo from other carts and mail software. As a result, I have segments of customers who have not purchased any upgrades or expansions. The problem is that I have no way to get past purchasers into a Flow in order to market to them. Yes, I can send a manual email, but I want to get them into a Flow sequence. 

So the only way I see to do this is to send out a mail and monitor who either opened or clicked on an email and get them into a flow. You guys don’t allow backdating flows for dynamic segments. 

So any other way to get Past purchasers who are in a Segment into a Flow? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hey @jmacman!

Hope to provide some additional info regarding your case with all the additional info you have responded with.

The problem is that I have no way to get past purchasers into a Flow in order to market to them. Yes, I can send a manual email, but I want to get them into a Flow sequence. 

In order to get past purchasers in a flow, you could actually back-populate a flow so that you can get newer or missed contacts into a new flow. This way you wouldn’t need to manually send emails but instead have a new flow made. 

The thing to consider about backpopulating flows is that if they are metric triggered, they need a time day for far back. However, this can be seen as a bad experience for customers who may have recently made purchases and orders + metric triggered flows are restrictive because of their time sensitive nature. This is outlined in our documentation of How Back-Populating a Flow Works under the metric triggered section.

You guys don’t allow backdating flows for dynamic segments. 

In this case, you can create a segment based flow (documentation above with the back-populate a flow article). However, you would lose out on dynamic table blocks and other similar aspects. An example I can think of would be if you had dynamic coupons in the flows; a workaround I would suggest is using a static coupon or manually scheduling campaign emails to simulate the customers going through the flows.

Lastly, here are some community posts related to back-populating!

Hope this helped!

Alex