Solved

Placed Order transactional email based on Gateway or Order Tag

• 4 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

we would like to send a transactional email after an order has been placed, but only if a certain payment gateway was used (COD in our case).

But I didn’t find any condition to use in the Placed Order Trigger Filters or in Conditional Split blocks.

Also I thought that maybe we can use the Orders Tags assigned by Shopify Flow, but in this case the condition seems to always fail, like that Klaviyo is not able to read Order Tags or Order Tags are empty.

Do you have any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by stephen.trumble 5 January 2022, 02:36

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @imbesharam 

Thank you so much for reaching out to the Klaviyo Community for help with this!

In order to include event data such as the purchase gateway you would need to create a custom API integration that will send that specific information to Klaviyo. Currently, our native integrations built by Klaviyo does send this information. I would work with your developer or one of our Klaviyo Partners to create this option. Once it is created you will be able to pull that information as a profile property into your conditions and triggers for the flows.

Does anyone in the community already have something like that set up that could possibly help?

Badge +2

Thank you Stephen, we will look into this API.

Do you have any idea why orders tags are not available when the split trigger condition is processed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @imbesharam,

Just wanted to add some info regarding tags here!

Shopify Tags have to be on the customer level and not on the order level. The customer tags in Shopify will sync over as Shopify Tags on profile pages of Klaviyo whenever the profile triggers an event such as Started Checkout/Ordered Product/Placed Order/Fulfilled Order/etc, or via periodic sync that occurs every hour via the webhook. It's definitely not in realtime but if you can pair it up with an event, then that could usually be the workaround for syncing it a little bit faster. 

There are two types of Shopify tags, order tags and custom profile property tags. The Shopify order tags are attached to specific products that your customers order. These tags will be located in the details section of your Ordered Product event and not within the custom profile property section. The Shopify custom profile property tags are located on the right-hand side of the customer's profile under the custom profile property section. These tags are typically assigned through hidden fields in signup forms, such as a newsletter tag or by adding a tag to the customer in Shopify's back end, such as a VIP tag.

There are certain tags that can be synced over to your Klaviyo account while some other tags will have a tougher time syncing over, or not sync over at all, depending on the situation due to the way we handle profile-level data vs. event-level data. 
Our Shopify integration runs a periodic sync every hour that updates Klaviyo profiles with customer tags from Shopify known as "Shopify Tags" in Klaviyo. These tags will update every hour, no problem. 
Unlike profile-level data, event-level data is not easily changed. It is referring to the data that belongs to the metrics like Placed Order and Fulfilled Order. Once these events are recorded, the data from those events will never update.
This is why you never see the Shopify order tags get pulled into your Klaviyo account if the Placed Order event was recorded in real-time. When you place an order, the event is already recorded in Klaviyo. Order tags can only be added after the order is placed. This is the reason the conditional split in your flow does not work.

Hope this could help a bit!
Alex

Badge +2

Hi there @imbesharam,

Hope this could help a bit!
Alex

Hi Alex, thanks a lot for the detailed answer, it helped us to better understand how Klaviyo profile data and event data works.

We understood also that at the moment is not possibly to use Klaviyo Flow to manage our scenario. So we used a Zapier automation to send the additional email when a specific payment gateway is used to complete the order.

But it could be really nice if you could allow in future to use the nested data in the Conditional Split event, even without fancy UI, just by specify fields name and value manually. It’s a pity because you already have all the details there, but they can’t be used.

Eg. extra:gateway

Thank you for the support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @imbesharam,

Thank you for the message and feedback. I can definitely open up a product feature request regarding this! Feel free to reply back with more information and details as to what you would like to be integrated and I can do my best to make sure that the feedback ideas are received. 

Glad to hear you have found a workaround using a Zapier integration!

Thank you again for being a member of the Community!

Alex

Badge

I ended up here while trying to figure how to set up a “payment reminder flow” for orders using “cash in advance” as payment-method. Obviously, i can’t.

@alex.hong does that feature request still exist? can i bump it? Klaviyo is very flexible when it comes to profile data - why not order-data?

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Celli ,

It could be something you can achieve using API and trying to track a custom metric via the API in order to use this custom trigger for flow emails:

https://www.klaviyo.com/docs/http-api

However, this would all be depending on of course how you want to set things up and the overall workflow of your integrations and store.

There is a feature request and I will gladly add your thoughts on it as well.