Solved

Shopify - Setting language during checkout

• 20 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +2
  • Contributor II
  • 3 replies

Hi All,

We use Klaviyo on a multilingual Shopify Plus (English and French)
Language is set by a custom property "language".
For forms, the custom property is set to the language of the form.
However, I block for the checkout. I had the idea to make a flow that would define the custom property according to the country of the user: if the user is in France then language=FR, otherwise EN.
What do you think about it ? How to make this Flow ?
Trigger "When someone Checkout Started
Conditional split "Someone's proximity to a location" -> Country ... but I can't define a specific country…

Thanks !

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 21 December 2021, 10:44

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @mdh,

Thanks for posting your question to the Community and I hope to offer some info regarding your ideas.

I believe one way you could separate your customers based on language preference would be to take advantage of our segmentation option. You could create a Location Based Segment to look for people who are in France or not, and then have different flows for each segment based on location. That way, you can have different emails going out to two different segments with different languages.

Our article, How to Customize Content Based on Language goes over other ways to manage multiple languages within Klaviyo. 

I think it would be easier to have different flows already set for different segments However, if you wanted to do this within one flow, you can use the filter ‘Properties about someone > Country > doesn’t contain > France. 

I also recommend checking out our helpful Academy course “Running a Multinational Business” as it provides great insight for Community members such as yourself!

Let me know if this helped!
Alex

Badge +2

Thanks a lot @alex.hong !

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

No problem @mdh! Glad I could help. Have a good day :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @alex.hong,

But it doesn't work for Abandoned cart as the customer can leave cart before providing country data, is there any other way to mark customer in the cart with language that he use and sync it as property to Klaviyo?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Jakub 

Thanks for reaching out for more info on setting customers locations without their address information.

Klaviyo uses IP geolocation to set a profile's location when a billing address has not been received. When someone clicks through a Klaviyo email, subscribes via a Klaviyo signup form, or is otherwise captured by our web tracking snippet, we will identify the person and use the IP they are on to set their location. So you can still use the above mentioned approach, however there might be some inaccuracies mentioned in the article I linked above.

Hope this helps!