Solved

SMS Not Delivering

• 9 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hello, we recently set up our SMS campaign but no text messages have been delivered since starting it. So far it lists that 58 were “skipped”. Some of these we understand like no consent, failed trigger or invalid number but the majority of them say “Missing Number”. 

We tried to test this out with a few employees of ours and we put our numbers in and initiated the flow but we did not receive the SMS message. We received the emails that we are expected to receive but for some reason we have not had a single SMS message deliver to anyone. Any idea what’s going on and what we can do? Below are screenshots: 

icon

Best answer by cassy.lee 10 November 2020, 23:17

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @SportingSmiles

Thanks so much for being a part of our community and asking your first question! 

I would recommend checking to ensure that you are collecting consent from your SMS subscribers. I know you mentioned that some of your employees tested this by adding their phone numbers, but they will need to also opt in to receive SMS marketing. You can test this by using this article, to upload a list of SMS contacts. 

It doesn’t look like you currently have a signup form that is capturing SMS consent/phone numbers either, so I would recommend setting this up so that you can gather both email and SMS from your customers. You can learn to do that here in this article

If there’s a phone number in the profile but no consent, the SMS wont send. Additionally, if there’s consent but no phone number, the SMS will also not send. I recommend checking both of these things on your account. You can check how many SMS subscribers you have by creating a segment. You can do this by following these steps.

One last thing on SMS is that if someone formats their phone number incorrectly, it will flag as Invalid Phone Number. Here’s an article that gives an overview of accepted phone number formats

Hope this is helpful! 
-Cassy 

Badge +2

Thank you for the wealth of information! I’m happy to look into the articles and get it running properly. 

Badge +3

Hi, I understand that Klaviyo SMS is not available everywhere. But what if someone from other Asian countries (for instance) filled up their phone numbers in the SMS op-in pop-up form, and they expect to receive a text but end up never receive any text?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @stellapuivoon,

Great question!

Users who signup for SMS with a phone number from a country where our SMS service is unsupported will actually not share SMS consent and therefore no SMS will be sent to these users. For this reason, if you have a singular store that sells internationally, we suggest using the form’s targeting setting to allow it to either exclude countries where SMS is unsupported or only targeting those countries where SMS is supported. 

Additionally, it’s not uncommon that if you deal in international business, you’ll often times have separate Klaviyo accounts for different countries or languages. This means that for those Klaviyo accounts focused on countries where SMS is not supported, SMS collection wouldn’t typically be enabled and signup forms would usually only be collecting email consent. 

Overall, there’s a lot of ways to combat this and would boil down to your marketing strategy and how your business is set up.

David

I also encountered a perplexing issue with SMS delivery. 🤔 Through collaborative discussions and shared insights, I was able to identify the root cause of the SMS delivery problem and implement the recommended solutions. The sense of accomplishment upon resolving the issue was indescribable, and I owe it all to the generous contributions of this community. 😊

👍 Thank you! 
Emily Idiom