Solved

SMS text not working.

• 28 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hello,
I've been searching on the forum high and low for two days and I haven't been able to find an answer to my question. I've even emailed the support desk and am still awaiting a response. I just recently signed up for Klaviyo and have already set up Welcome and Abandoned cart email flows. I also created pop up forms for email as well as sms. The SMS pop up works fine; however, when I click the subscribe button (from my mobile device) to go through the joining process, it's not working properly. It takes me to my text messages with a pre-made join message ready for me to send. When I send it, nothing else happens, and I never receive any follow-up texts. I also am not seeing anything in my SMS list, so there's definitely a disconnect somewhere. I've followed the setup directions given, but still not working. I don't want to launch my new site until I get this working, so a quick resolution would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by David To 31 January 2022, 16:44

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @thesaltsociety,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community! I want to commend your efforts for trying to search through the Community before posting! Sometimes you may just be the first to raise the question publicly!

I would suggest checking to see if you’ve activated SMS within your Klaviyo account. SMS Is not enabled by default when you get started with Klaviyo. If you haven’t enabled and activated this service, I would suggest doing so by following the instructions in our Getting Started with SMS and MMS for the First Time Help Center article.

Similarly, if you were not based in the US but instead in either UK or Australia, you would also need to activate your alphanumeric sending number in order to get started in collecting SMS consent. When enabling SMS within Klaviyo, you are offered a toll-free number for use in the US. This number is not supported in UK or Australia and for this reason you’ll need to activate your free alphanumeric sender ID for use in these countries. You can learn more about using an alphanumeric number and how to issue one from our How to Activate or Deactivate Your Alphanumeric Sender ID Help Center article.

If our colleagues on our Support team was able to share a more specific reason, we would love it if you could share with the rest of the Community as well to help other Community members who may be running into the same issue!

Thanks for being a part of the Klaviyo Community!

David

Badge +1

I have done everything they’ve asked and I’m having the same problem. It shouldn’t be this difficult to send a simple SMS

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Blessed,

Sorry to hear that you’re having some troubles using our SMS feature.

I think it would be helpful if you could share what isn’t working or what you are having troubles with so myself or other Community members can chime in to share our thoughts on the matter.

In addition to my points above, another common confusion members run into when starting out with SMS is ensuring you’ve collected consent. If you’ve never previously marketed using SMS or have never collected SMS consent, you’ll want to do so in order for the SMS to be delivered. You can find a number of strategies and methods to collect SMS consent from our Guide to Collecting SMS Consent Help Center article. 

Also keep in mind that if you were testing the SMS feature, you’ll still want to use a real phone number that you have access to. Overtly fake numbers such as +1 978 555 1234 will be filtered out by our system as it’s recognized as a fake number. Using a number you have access to is also key since you’ll typically want to confirm the opt-in message in order to consent to SMS. 

David

Badge +1

Thank you for the in-depth reply David. I have collected SMS Consent and I created a segment flow from scratch so I could use the appropriate metric instead of using one of the templates. That worked out. Thanks again for the reply