Solved

Stopping a flow from triggering new people

• 24 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I want to make a new flow with the same trigger as an existing flow. The existing flow has a lot of people waiting to receive a mail and I want them to receive it before I turn it off and active the new flow. 

So my question is; How do I stop the existing flow from triggering new people? I want the new flow to trigger my future costumers and then delete the old flow. 

icon

Best answer by nikitavaidya 24 February 2021, 15:58

View original

4 replies

Badge +2

Per @nikitavaidya response... Both Flows would be live at the same time, but changing the initial delay of the original Flow to 365 days prevents new people who enter the Flow from getting the first email while the same people are entering the New Flow and receiving emails in the new Flow because the delay in that one is much shorter. 

My question/what I’d like to confirm... is that the people already “waiting” for the first email in the original flow are not affected when changing the first time delay to 365 days. So if they are already waiting under the original time delay, they will still receive the remaining emails in the Flow based off of the original time delay, not the new time delay of 365?

Please see attached image for example. Thank you!

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hey @Hogseth,

Thank you for writing in, I’d be happy to help.

In order to create a new flow with the same trigger, you would first have to clone your existing flow. 

To make sure that customers who are in waiting for your existing flow receive it :

1. Create a large time delay between the trigger and Email #1 for the existing flow (example 365 days)
  2. This way, new customers will enter the existing flow, but will be stuck in the delay for 365 days. But the old customers who are already queued up for the flow will receive the emails
  3. In the meantime, set your new flow to live, so future customers will start receiving the new flow
  4. Once there are no emails being sent out via the existing flow, turn it to draft. 

Hope this was helpful. 

Happy sending :) 

Badge +4

Hey @Hogseth,

Thank you for writing in, I’d be happy to help.

In order to create a new flow with the same trigger, you would first have to clone your existing flow. 

To make sure that customers who are in waiting for your existing flow receive it :

1. Create a large time delay between the trigger and Email #1 for the existing flow (example 365 days)
  2. This way, new customers will enter the existing flow, but will be stuck in the delay for 365 days. But the old customers who are already queued up for the flow will receive the emails
  3. In the meantime, set your new flow to live, so future customers will start receiving the new flow
  4. Once there are no emails being sent out via the existing flow, turn it to draft. 

Hope this was helpful. 

Happy sending :) 

Hi,

I have a quick question about this. 

If I were to create a new flow, with the same trigger, how do I make sure that people don’t go into both flows at the same time?

And if people enter the old flow with the 365 delay, how do I funnel them into the new flow?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Kaebee

Great question! 

Users will go through both flows if they are both set to live at the same time, which is why I’d suggest leaving your new, cloned flow in draft mode until you have retired you old flow.

Once you have added the time delay to your old flow, I suggest then setting the flow to draft mode and turning your new flow live. Once you have done this, I’d recommend  back-populating the new flow. Back-populating will queue the users who were waiting in your old flow and will now be pushed through your new flow. Additionally, new users who trigger the flow will only move through your new flow as it is live and your old flow is set to draft mode, meaning now one will be queued for the old flow going forward. 

Hope this helps and thanks for being a part of the Community! 

-Taylor