Solved

Testing Automatic Discount Code in a Flow

• 20 January 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

Hi there, 

I have made my first email with an automatically created discount code unique to visitors for people on an abandoned checkout flow. 

I think I have followed the steps of How to Create Unique Coupon Codes for Shopify – Klaviyo - Help Center correctly, but I’d like to be able to check that it’s correct! Is there anyway to see whether it is going to make and insert discount codes correctly? I don’t want to be sending out emails that are broken!

“When you preview the email directly in Klaviyo, you will not see a unique coupon code populate. Additionally, you will not be able to preview coupon codes with variable expiration dates because you cannot manually add codes to these types of coupons.”

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Dov 20 January 2022, 20:06

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @JoshuaAAC,

Thanks for sharing this question with the community. Congrats on getting your flow setup with an automatically generated code! Very wise decision to incentivize customers and make it easy for them to complete their purchase.

Now on to the solution. The best way to test a flow and receive a live coupon code is to first clone the flow. Next, strip out any time-delays and non-coupon-containing emails in the flow so you’re left with just the trigger and the flow email containing the coupon. 

Next, turn the email in the flow to Manual status and then enter yourself into the flow by taking the triggering action for the flow, (in your case by starting a checkout) that will queue you up to receive the email.

Flow email in Manual Mode

When a message's status is manual, at send time, each recipient will move to the Needs Review tab. Click on the flow email and then on “Needs Review” on the left-hand side bar. 

Emails in “Needs Review” status

From here, you’ll want to click on the “send” button next to your email address only (don’t click send all). And if all goes as expected, you will receive the live coupon code in your inbox.

I hope that’s helpful!