Solved

Trigger a flow when someone places order using a specific coupon code?

• 13 July 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

Hi!

I’m trying to set up a flow that will trigger each time someone places an order using a specific coupon code. This a unique code that I created inside Shopify. 

I can’t seem to find it when building the flow trigger. Is it possible to build such logic? Where should I add the code in order to find it when building the flow?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by In the Inbox 13 July 2022, 17:44

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +29

Hi @Vitoraestuary 

Thank you for your question and posting it in the Klaviyo community!

The best way to do this is to set up the flow to trigger on the Placed Order event via Shopify and then add a Trigger Filter which will allow only those users who placed an order with your unique code to enter.

In the example above you would replace “SHOPIFYCODE” with your unique code. You might also want to change the logic from “contains” to “equals” if you are using a static code vs. a dynamic unique code.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

@In the Inbox 

Badge +3

Really appreciate the answer!

This is what I tried to do but for some reason k«Kalviyo wasn’t able to see the discount code I created on shopify.

Does it take time for Klaviyo to pick up the code after creating it inside Shopify?

Userlevel 6
Badge +29

Hi @Vitoraestuary 

For clarification, when you say, “Klaviyo wasn’t able to see the discount code I created in Shopify” what does that mean? It wasn’t showing up in the Trigger Filter? You should be able to manually enter in the code that you want to filter off of. 

The other issue is that the system may not “register” the coupon until an order has come in with that coupon code used. Have you tried submitting a test order with the specific coupon used?

I would give both of those a try and see if that resolves the issue.

Best,

@In the Inbox 

Badge +3

That was the issue, I had to run a test order first. It’s working fine now! Thank you so much!

Badge

I have a question regarding this. I’ve made a flow, where i give my customers who bought a mug or cup and no teapot 30% discount on teapots the next 48 hours. After they make a purchase, i want to filter them into a seperate line of emails in my thank you flow. Should i use the prefix (Teapot-) I´ve marked within the coupon in the Discount Codes contains _______ input field or the name of the actual coupon. I am guessing the prefix right?

Just want to make sure. Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +29

Hi @Clemmekoen 

If I understand correctly, you are wanting to offer your customers who have not purchased a Teapot the coupon code with the prefix ‘Teapot-” or are you trying to filter people who have already redeemed the coupon with the prefix?

If you are trying to filter users who have already redeemed the coupon, then the trigger split you’ve set up based on Placed Order and using the discount code as the filter criteria would work. In this case, if someone has placed an order with the coupon “teapot-” they will go on the left path, if they have placed an order without the coupon, then they will go on the right path.

However, based on your description, it sounded as if you wanted to filter people who had not purchased a Teapot to be sent the coupon to redeem 30% off a future purchase of a teapot. In this case, you wouldn’t use the coupon but the category of product purchased. So, if Category or Collection doesn’t equal “Teapot” (for example), then they would receive an email with the teapot coupon. If their order did contact the category/collection of “teapot” then they shouldn’t receive the email with the coupon.

I hope this helps!

@In the Inbox 

Badge

I´ve set it up correctly then, thanks so much for claifying.

Basically, to stop any condusion for potential readers, i have set up a flow for all people who have bought either mugs, cups or teacups or a combination of them a 30% discount for teapots, which is a dynamic coupon prefixed with “Teapot-”.

The reason this is relevant is that i dont want people who purchase from this upsell to into a my regular thank you flows for 2nd time purchasers, instead they will be redirected into a seperate line of emails specifically for the ones who just bought a 2nd time with the 30% teapot upsell prefixed with “Teapot-”

Thanks for your reply!

Best regards, Clemens