Solved

Trigger Split for Value Not Working for Abandoned Cart

• 12 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +5

We recently got the Abandoned Cart flow going based on the article for Shopify here as well as the article for preventing multiple events triggering multiple times for one user at this article here.

It looks to be behaving properly, except for one issue that seems to be creating two problems:

We separated cart values for high vs. low, with a discount code being offered for cart values over a certain amount (in this case, $59.94). I made a trigger split for it, as you can see.

However, it doesn’t seem to be registering the amount, as no emails have been sent or are waiting in the Low Value Cart.

Not only that, ALL abandoned carts, both low and high value, seem to be getting the email with the discount code. I confirmed this by testing it myself as well as checking with other users.

What is wrong with this trigger that it’s not registering the value?

It’s under the $value, so it’s not a custom metric that sounds like could be an issue.

From my limited understanding, everything looks correct. Am I missing something?

icon

Best answer by caitlinlmh 14 October 2021, 15:55

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @caitlinlmh,

Welcome and thanks for posting to the Community! I’d be happy to help provide some insight onto your Flow questions.

The first thing we need to understand is that Added to Cart events only look at 1 item rather than a basket of items. So even though we call it “Abandoned Cart” and you might be expecting it to be all of the items in the cart vs a single item, this is actually not how the $value figure works for the items so it leads to some confusion. For example, you may think $value is looking at items 1,2,3 when it’s really only looking at $value of item 1 and then item 2 and then item 3 all in a vacuum. So as you can see, using the $value property can be quite tricky! 

To better understand, I would look through some example profiles that went down the path and verify that they all meet the requirement for that path based on the $value of the items that were added to the cart. 

So once we understand how the added to cart looking at each item discretely so only 1 $value is attributed per item works,  it might help explain what you’re seeing in the flow. If you still think something is up or is being evaluated incorrectly in the flow after knowing that, then we can definitely file a support ticket and potential bug error!

Hope this helped!

Alex

Badge +5

The first thing we need to understand is that Added to Cart events only look at 1 item rather than a basket of items. So even though we call it “Abandoned Cart” and you might be expecting it to be all of the items in the cart vs a single item, this is actually not how the $value figure works for the items so it leads to some confusion. For example, you may think $value is looking at items 1,2,3 when it’s really only looking at $value of item 1 and then item 2 and then item 3 all in a vacuum. So as you can see, using the $value property can be quite tricky! 

Okay, so the event is only looking at the $value for a single item/event and triggering the flow. Wouldn’t that mean that it should be splitting the trigger to the Low Value Cart every single time, rather than the High Value Cart since my items are all $9.99 each (basically if it’s a single event/item added, it would trigger at the very first item which is well below the price of $59.94)?

Is there a way to use a $value trigger split for an abandoned cart’s TOTAL?

I did find an order example in the Trigger Preview that was concerning.

It was someone who had already ordered, but then it looks like after she placed her order, she added another of the same item to her cart and then left. Now, there’s no way to tell exactly what else she might have put into her cart, but considering it was the exact same thing she just ordered, I’m going to take a guess and say it was one item. That item’s value is $9.99. Definitely not the $59.94 that I set the trigger to. So it would seem that the trigger put her in the wrong flow anyways, even if for a single item, and now she has another discount code.

She received the Abandoned Cart email with the discount after one item for $9.99 was added

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @caitlinlmh,

Thanks for providing additional information in regards to this issue. I have looked into it further and saw that the $value should be able to be called upon on the flow. However, it is odd that the $9.99 is going into the completely wrong area. Two things that come to mind are 1) the two emails being sent were switched by accident by chance and users are actually getting the wrong email because the yes/no emails were swapped. 2) there is some error with the Flow triggers and perhaps a bug that is not pulling in the $value properly. 

That being said, I have opened up a support ticket so that they can take a deeper dive into you account as we are limited here at the Community. Please report back with your findings as I am sure there are similar cases that will appear for other Community members and it would be great to learn together!

Thank you!

Alex

Badge +5

Thank you for doing that!

The solution I’ll be trying was to change the trigger of $value to Price instead. Since the $value metric isn’t passed in the Added to Cart metric, it was finding no $value and moving everything to the “No” or High Value flow because it couldn’t detect that it was less than $59.94.

The Price metric will hopefully be more specific to the cost, here’s exactly how it was described:

We confirmed above that 'Price' is passed in your Added to Cart event, so the Trigger Split will pick up on that and make the comparison. Please note that you may need to change the datatype to Number to ensure that the 'less than' option shows.

Hope this helps anyone having Shopify Added to Cart metric problems! I’ll update this to confirm if it was fixed or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @caitlinlmh glad you found a workaround! Good catch on the $value metric not being pulled and using $price instead. Thank you so much for sharing it here as well so we can all learn together!

Badge +5

Update: changing the $value to $pricing did not change anything. There are still no customers being added to the Low Cart flow.

Could this be a flow error?