Solved

Unable to create Coupon - Email does not send.

• 2 November 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +2
  • Contributor II
  • 4 replies

Since i have different promotions, I create 2 sign up form. 1 for normal day, 1 for special day.

• I change sign up form of normal day and email flow to Draft. Then, Active the sign up form and email flow for special promotion. I also
  • Smart Sending is OFF because i just use 1 email for testing email.
  • I delete my test email on Profile because i am going to use it for testing.

Coupon Set Up for special promotion:

Condition

1.  If the order is over $85, Buyer can buy the Item A ($25,49)with 0 USD. 
  2.  If the order is under $85, Buyer can buy the Item A($25,49) with a discount fixed amount

Setup:

I set up 2 separated coupon for these 2 conditions. Please see my set up on screenshot

Issue:

I test a basic flow as a buyer, sign up and expected receive the email with coupon code. However, sometimes, the email sent to me, sometimes Not.

1. .Although, the email does not send to me,  the email is still inserted on Profile of Klaviyo but NO COUPON code is generated at the bottom of profile.
  2. When the email sent successfully to me, the coupon code display on Profile of my email. However, I cannot use the coupon code  that meet the requirement on condition #1 above. (can buy the Item A with $0)

I think my setup for coupon code is incorrect and i miss some steps for email flow, that is why the email sending is not stable. Could you please help me show me what i am doing wrong.

Thank you so much!

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 3 November 2021, 20:57

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @PAA,

Thanks for posting to the Community and including helpful screenshots! I hope we can work together to get to the bottom of the issues.

The Skipped: Unable to Create Coupon message will appear when you delete a collection and Klaviyo tries to create the coupon but then fails. You mentioned that the coupon is limited to certain products. Did you recently delete any product collections that are related to the coupon or are any of your collections inactive now? 

Also if you are using unique codes, I would check your Coupons tab in Klaviyo to see if they are properly generated.  These will not work on their own as static discount codes in the way that Shopify's static discount codes do.  In order for customers to receive unique code, you need to use these coupons in emails in your account.  For each coupon, you'll need to use a dynamic tag like this to create unique coupon codes when your customers receive the email {% coupon_code 'NAME_OF_YOUR_COUPON' %}

1. .Although, the email does not send to me,  the email is still inserted on Profile of Klaviyo but NO COUPON code is generated at the bottom of profile.
  2. When the email sent successfully to me, the coupon code display on Profile of my email. However, I cannot use the coupon code  that meet the requirement on condition #1 above. (can buy the Item A with $0)

Would you mind clarifying this part? How are you sending the emails and when you send the test emails, what is returned on the inbox side?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Alex

Badge +2

Thanks for your respond.

“Did you recently delete any product collections that are related to the coupon or are any of your collections inactive now?”  → Yes, my coupon and the collection are active

{% coupon_code 'NAME_OF_YOUR_COUPON' %}  → I used this code in my email and the coupon code generate well in the email.

My issue:

I created the coupon with 100 percent discount on Product X with Minimum Order X. I sign up and get the discount code on my email. I go to my store and add to cart with the items which meet the requirement as my discount set up above. However, the code always say as on the screenshot. Even I try to change to Fixed Amount Discount (value equal to Product X) with the same condition as above. Go to my store and add to cart again, paste the code, the same error message  displays. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hey there @PAA,

Thanks for writing back.

The first thing I would do is to check if that coupon code was used beforehand. The error that you are seeing typically comes up when a code has been used previously. I would review the past orders of the person who received the coupon and the coupon itself to see the uses for it. Confusingly enough, Shopify displays this error if the coupon has been used previously. 

To check if a coupon has been used, you can create a segment for it. You would have to add a definition for each possible discount or choose from the list in order to decide what would qualify as a Value Shopper. It would look like the following, but with all Coupon Codes filled out:
?name=inline325634071.png

However, if someone used a Coupon on their first purchase and then bought at full price on their second purchase, they would be included in this Segment.

You can also come up with another Segment that would include, for example, contain anyone with 2 or more orders with a 10.00 discount value:
?name=inline630614523.png

Another thing to check would be if you have multiple products with the same name but perhaps a different ID. You would need unique names for the coupon to work as well. Lastly, there is Shopify data that they seem to track on coupons and orders that could be a good area to search for discrepancies. 

One thing I noticed was that in the second screenshot, your products in the cart are not the same products as the one listed in the coupon settings. Could that be another cause of error?

Going to go back to your point “Although, the email does not send to me,  the email is still inserted on Profile of Klaviyo but NO COUPON code is generated at the bottom of profile.”. I think there might be some confusion because if there is no email sent, there would be no way for the coupon to be added or collected on a profile. If the email is sent, then there would be a coupon generated for the profile and data would be collected.

Best,

Alex

Badge +2

Thanks for your explanation.

I just found out the reason which is not cause of the coupon code. It is about my set up. I contacted with Shopify and found out my set up does not meet my case. I have to choose the option “buy X get Y” to meet my case. However, this option does not have on Klaviyo.  What should i do to set up this option on Klaviyo instead of Shopify?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hey there @PAA,

Currently there is no native ability to create a “buy x get y” option within Klaviyo. You can try create this sort of "buy one get one" coupon within Shopify directly. Using this route though, you would not be able to have Klaviyo display the discount code for recipients within their email sends. 
If you'd prefer to go down the creating the coupons in Shopify instead route so you can utilize buy X no of products get Y logic, this thread of Shopify's community could be helpful. You could then upload those coupon codes to Klaviyo and email them out to customers

I would suggest reaching out again to Shopify support for that side of troubleshooting.

Thank you!

Alex

Badge +2

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

No problem! Glad I could be of help!