Solved

Why am I still receiving automatic replies from people when I'm using a "noreply" email address?

• 15 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
  • Contributor III
  • 5 replies

Is anyone else still getting automatic replies from people even though you have set up a “noreply” email address. It’s mostly automatic messages telling us that they are out of the office, but I didn’t think we should be seeing these messages at all, since we set up a “noreply” email address. I have talked to the support centre already regarding this issue, but they told us that it doesn’t matter if we set up a “noreply” email address or not, it’s the settings on someone’s email. This does not make sense to me. Wouldn’t everything just automatically reply the email address that you set up? If not, why even do it? Why even have this feature. If you are experiencing this or have, can you please let us know what you’ve done to correct it. Is there a solution? Thank you so much. 

Jo

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 18 July 2022, 22:04

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi there @JoH,

Thanks for posting to the Community.

If I recall correctly, the case with most email clients is that they will act independent of Klaviyo and send automated OOO emails to a sender. Even if you have the noreply to email set, auto replies like out of office emails don’t actually click a reply button and it just bounces back to the original sender email address.

The only option I could suggest here would be to set the sender email to be your noreply email as well. Related guide here: How to Change the Sender Email Address.

I wonder if other community members have success with this issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks Alex for that information. I considered doing this as well, but I’m not sure if people would just consider this to be spam and not from a legit company. I’m going to see if there is a way to set it up like this, but change the name that people actually see (if that makes sense).

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Sounds like a plan @JoH. I’ve seen in my personal experience that noreply’s will sometimes get a response with Gmail’s automated OOO type of emails so hope you can find a solution.

Alex

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Alex! I’m actually just going to create a “dummy” email address like “noreply” - it won’t go anywhere. I think that will solve it. As long as it has our company name in it - it should work. Thanks for your suggestions.

Badge +2

I found this thread while searching for a related issue.

I think the original issue here is that just setting up an address noreply@domain.tld doesn’t prevent replies. If it’s a live email address, any response can be received there, automated or not.

The answer is to configure the noreply@ address to refuse incoming mail, which can be done through a control panel or other configuration tools. cPanel example:

https://docs.cpanel.net/cpanel/email/manage-email-accounts/#restrictions

I was searching for a way to process incoming replies automatically, to get rid of OOO or unsubscribe requests etc., which I think is preferable to noreply to create good experiences for recipients.