Solved

Why does the Abandoned Cart for Woocommerce have 'Started checkout zero times since entering this flow' as part of the trigger?

• 26 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

I am just launching my first abandoned cart flow for my woocommerce store and the default Abandoned Cart Standard flow has these triggers set. I get the first two triggers and why they are there but can’t comprehend why the last AND trigger “started checkout zero times since entering this flow” is being used. Wouldn’t this trigger exclude everyone from my flow since trigger 1 is “started checkout”? I believe it’s a trigger to prevent re-entering the start of the flow but I’m still confused. Can someone explain to me what this is doing and if there is a better way? Thanks

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 26 October 2021, 18:00

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @GoodVibes123

Thanks for sharing your question with us! Would love to share some more insight on this! 

Yes, you are on the right track! There is  only one trigger for a flow, and then additional flow or trigger filters. While the singular event that triggers the flow is ‘Started Checkout’, a Flow Filter, that encompasses the ‘Placed Order zero times’ and ‘Started Checkout zero times’, will evaluate whether or not a user still meets the criteria to at every step in the flow. The Flow Filter ‘Started Checkout zero times since being in this flow’ will prevent someone from receiving an abandon cart email if they have gone back to their cart, after initially abandoning their checkout, since being in the flow. 

This flow setup will not prevent anyone who abandons their checkout process from entering the flow, but will prevent someone from getting another ‘you abandoned your cart’ email if they are in the process of returning to their cart to potentially place their original order. Adding a ‘Hasn’t been in this flow in the last 7 days’ flow filter would prevent someone re-entering your flow too frequently. 

Thank for asking your question in this Community! 

-Taylor 

Badge +4

Hi @GoodVibes123

The Flow Filter ‘Started Checkout zero times since being in this flow’ will prevent someone from receiving an abandon cart email if they have gone back to their cart, after initially abandoning their checkout, since being in the flow. 

@Taylor Tarpley Thank you for the response and assistance! So based on what you’re saying, wouldn’t it defeat the purpose of an abandoned cart email if I set a filter “started checkout zero times since being in this flow” since they will NOT get any abandoned cart emails? Let’s say the user visits the checkout page the first time and then visits again through the Abandoned Cart 1 email but doesn’t checkout, don’t I want them to still get Abandoned Cart 2 email? 

How would you recommend that I setup my standard Abandoned Cart flow’s (triggers and filters)? 

Sorry, I’m trying to wrap my head around all of this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @GoodVibes123

Happy to dive into this further! I understand that it can take a second to absorb. We’ve all been there! 

The filter would not prevent user from receiving an abandon cart email in the flow. But would hypothetically spit the user out of the flow if they initiated the checkout process again after reading the email and proceeding back to their cart. However, since this specific flow doesn’t have a filter ‘hasn’t been in this flow in the past 7 days’ the user would be re-queued for the flow and proceed through it again and receive a reminder email 4 hours later because they did not place an order after revisiting their cart. 

You can set up your flow to your specific business needs, goals, and the workflow you like the best for your brand. If you don’t like that the users would be spit out before receiving email 2 if they don’t complete their purchase, then it is your prerogative to set the filter differently! You can remove the flow and add a ‘hasn’t been in the flow in the past 7 days’ to prevent any repeat users from triggering the flow again and getting annoyed with lots of abandon cart emails, yet allowing them to receive the second email if they haven’t placed an order. 

You got this! 

-Taylor