Solved

Why Doesn't my Abandoned Cart Flow Send When A Customer Doesn't Check Out?

• 22 November 2020
  • 11 replies

Badge +2

I had setup the abandoned cart flow, I also notice there is someone add to cart. 

However, when the customer didn’t check out the cart, the abandoned cart flow didn’t send out the email. 

Just wonder didn’t i missed out any setting?

icon

Best answer by mike.hoang 22 November 2020, 16:59

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi there,

Without taking a look at your account, I’m wondering which abandoned cart flow you are referring to. In Klaviyo, there are essentially 2 abandoned cart flows:

Added to Cart Abandoned Cart - this flow requires an additional code snippet to be added to your e-comm platform. With that snippet, Klaviyo will know when someone adds an item to their cart and doesn’t purchase. 

Abandoned Cart/Checkout - this flow does not typically require an additional code snippet as the checkout started information is usually passed over through your e-commerce integration. With that said, this flow will trigger when someone actually adds something to their cart and continues the checkout process without purchasing or placing their order. 

The issue you may be running into is that someone may not have triggered the abandoned cart flow you have set up.

Badge +2

Hi Mike,

honorsly, I’m not technical guy so I may not understand what you mean. 

Atatched below is the screen shoot I had capture from the Flow. 

In this case, which one should I use and how to get it setup?

From shopify, I do see people add to cart, you may refer to the below attached

thanks. 

regards,

michael

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Michael,

As I had suspected, you have set up a checkout started abandoned cart in Klaviyo and you are comparing that to something entirely different in Shopify. 

Based on what you have set up so far, people will only receive emails if they start a checkout. In other words, this goes beyond adding to cart. It’s quite literally additional steps that a customer must take. A customer begins the process by adding something to their cart but then takes it a step further by starting their checkout. The key point to note here is that the flow will not send emails until they get to the billing page where they can enter their payment information. At that point, Shopify will send a started checkout event to Klaviyo and the flow will trigger. However, the email will only send if they do not continue with the purchase. 

Having said that, you haven’t necessarily done anything wrong. For a more accurate picture, you can compare the flow in Klaviyo to folks who have started their checkout in Shopify. Additionally, you may want to explore this guide to set up the other abandoned cart flow to capture people who only add items to their cart without starting their checkout process. 

Cheers,

Mike

Badge +2

Hi @mike.hoang,

thanks for your clarification, now I know where is the issue. 

On the other hand, I’m not technically competent to modify the source code according to the guide. Is there anyone who can help with this?

thanks.

michael

Badge +2

Hi Mike,

just to confirm, should we “check” the Automatically send abandoned checkout emails in Shopify?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Michael,

You actually want to uncheck that box in Shopify so you are not duplicating messages by sending on both Klaviyo and Shopify. It should be off in Shopify and on in Klaviyo.

Badge +2

Hi Mike,

I already off in Shopify, how do I on in Klaviyo?

by setting up the flow it is considered on?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Michael,

If the email content is ready to go, you’ll want to flip the action status of the email from either Draft or Manual to Live. Once you see the green light, those emails will send automatically on Klaviyo. 

For more information on how to set up flows, please check out this guide.

Cheers,

Mike

Badge +1

Hi, i’m having a similar problem. my cart abandoned flow isn’t seding de email to the people. I checked the flow set up and also de integration with shopify, but Klaviyo isn’t reciving the data of the clients from shopify, many people have started a checkout and i can see the abandoned cart on Shopify however Klaviyo haven’t registred any activity since last month.

How can i fix it? i checked all the set up and integrations with shopify but my flow isn’t working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

@902Showroom - That does look odd, but just to check, you have “Flow Filters” to correctly exclude anyone that has “Placed an Order” while in the flow - verify that those subscribes who “Checkout Started” didn’t actually go and complete the order (within your 1 hour timeframe). 

Another tip, check the “Preview Flow Trigger” and see if you can page through a few test examples.

Badge +1

@retention I set up the flows and tiggers correctly. the mistake was with the integration between klaviyo and shopify. The developer could helpme to fix it.

:)