Solved

why is scheduled timing not working in the flow.

• 14 October 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

I'm new to klaviyo so have set up a test flow with 4 personal emails before going live.

This is triggered by a list so I set it live and back populated so the first email went immediately (2pm gmt time on Thursday)

I scheduled the 2nd email, with a conditional split, to go 1 day later after 10am (Europe/London time) so expected to receive them at 10am today (Friday) however, its now 2 and half hours later and still no email? All four emails are showing as waiting in the conditional split and the second email is yet to be sent.

why would this email not have been sent yet?

Fyi Ive turned off smart sending just for the test so I can send the messages all within a day of each other and will put it back on when going live.  

icon

Best answer by David To 14 October 2022, 21:36

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @Hmwtvaw,

Welcome to Klaviyo and our Community!

I think it would be helpful for myself and the rest of the Community if you could provide a screenshot of how you’ve setup your flow to offer our insight. However, since it sounds like those users are in the waiting status of the conditional split, this makes me believe that the flow was backpopulated correctly but there may be a misunderstanding in your time delay logic. 

When you say you scheduled the second email to go out 1 day later at 10am, did you happen to set it similar to the screenshot below?

If so, then I think that would be the misunderstanding. Because the first email was sent out at 2pm, the logic of this time delay would dictate that your recipients would not receive the email until 10am on Saturday. Another way to think about this is that by setting the delay for 1 day after the previous step, you’re essentially adding a full 24-hour delay before the specified time of day logic is applied. This means that by delaying it by one day it would be 2pm on Friday. Since that would place it after 10am the delay would wait till the next time it reaches 10am to allow recipients to proceed the through flow. Which would be Saturday.

A similar example and explanation of this behavior is described in the Add a Time Delay subsection of our How to Add a Time Delay to a Flow Help Center article:

When you choose to create a waiting period of X days, each day will be calculated as a 24-hour period. If you choose to wait X days but specify a certain time of day, however, each day will be calculated as a calendar day to avoid prolonged wait periods depending on when a recipient enters your flow. To explain this further, consider the following scenario.

Let's say you want to have a time delay set to "Wait 1 Day, until 3PM" and then send an email:

• Person A enters your series at 2 PM. Waiting 1 day (24 hours) would land your recipient at 2PM the next day and the email would send 1 hour later at 3 PM. The total amount of time between when they trigger the flow and when they receive the first email is 25 hours.
  • Person B enters your series at 4 PM. Waiting 1 day (24 hours) would land your recipient at 4PM the next day. In order to send at your specified time of 3 PM, we'd need to wait another 23 hours. This means Person B would receive your email almost a full day later than Person A. What happens instead is that Person B will receive the email at 3 PM the following day, 23 hours after they triggered the flow. 

To avoid the above problem, we'll only wait X "calendar days" instead of X "24-hour days" when your time delay includes a specific time of day. With this behavior, using the above example, Person A and Person B will both get the email at the same time. 

Instead of setting the delay for 1 day after the previous day, I think it would be more appropriate to have a 0 day delay but apply a specified time delay. This way, if the delay logic had read “set this delay for 0 days after the previous step, delay until a specific time of day 10am” then recipients who received the email on Thursday at 2pm would be delayed until 10am on Friday to be evaluated by the conditional split

If you haven’t already, I think taking a look at some of our Help Center articles - such as the ones I’ve included below would be helpful in further understanding how timing works in a flow:

I hope this helps!

David