Facebook messenger access

• 9 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hi guys,

So I wonder, if my customer logs into my eshop using facebook account do i have to get that tick on check box for messenger in order to access him via messenger? Attaching photo what I am talking about

Other questions, can klaviyo detect customers email, if he loged in  using : a)facebook b)gmail accout ?

Thank in advance for info guys !

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

@steam365 Are you using a specific 3rd Party app to do your Messenger implementation?  Depending on what you’re using, and how it captures emails, it would have to be integrated with Klaviyo for that to happen.  For example, Octane.ai is a Messenger platform for Shopify and one of the features it has is to ask a user fro their email address via a Messenger interaction which can then be synced to Klaviyo.  

As for Klaviyo “identifying” a user from Facebook or Google Account, this depends on what you’re using to Log Users into your store and if it passes the “identify” tracking to Klaviyo. What are you using to let users Log In via Facebook/Google?  Is it something you developed internally, a 3rd party app, or something else?   

The only thing that Klaviyo natively integrates with Facebook is the Facebook Lead Ads integration where if someone completes a Facebook Lead Ad, it can be submitted into a Klaviyo List.  You can read about that here: Connect Facebook Lead Ads to a List

Badge +2

@steam365 Are you using a specific 3rd Party app to do your Messenger implementation?  Depending on what you’re using, and how it captures emails, it would have to be integrated with Klaviyo for that to happen.  For example, Octane.ai is a Messenger platform for Shopify and one of the features it has is to ask a user fro their email address via a Messenger interaction which can then be synced to Klaviyo.  

As for Klaviyo “identifying” a user from Facebook or Google Account, this depends on what you’re using to Log Users into your store and if it passes the “identify” tracking to Klaviyo. What are you using to let users Log In via Facebook/Google?  Is it something you developed internally, a 3rd party app, or something else?   

The only thing that Klaviyo natively integrates with Facebook is the Facebook Lead Ads integration where if someone completes a Facebook Lead Ad, it can be submitted into a Klaviyo List.  You can read about that here: Connect Facebook Lead Ads to a List

So basicly Im using woocommerce and custome plugin to log in customes to web :

But I wonder if client logs in using facebook is it a must to get that tick on check box in order to reach him via messenger :

And I heard this allows to acces customer for 24hours only , right ?

So what about integration with klaviyo? Lets say my clients log in via facebook and google accounts using plugin above and in both cases to my clients account emails and other data is captured.

Will it automaticly integrates to klaviyo with all the infromation about the customer (name, last name, age gender ) if  interacts using klaviyo form/ email send by klaviyo ?? :/

Explain please how this sync of clients data order ect from my eshop databse to klaviyo is working.

Thank you so much !

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

@steam365  - Having had some context with Messenger Marketing myself, I think most of your question is related to the custom plugin that you use, Facebook’s current (and often changing) rules, and a better understanding of what Messenger marketing entails.  I would refer to the official Facebook Platform Rules to understand what is acceptable, and what is not:

Now for your Klaviyo question, this is depending on how the plugin adds emails to your platform (e.g. Wordpress/WooCommerce) or if it adds them to Klaviyo (if they provide an integration with Klaviyo directly), and also how you present “consent” for marketing emails.  

For example, If you use Klaviyo’s WooCommerce integration, it will automatically add your prospects to Klaviyo who opt in during the checkout process, and all customers who place an order. It might be possible that your custom plugin treats registrations/logins in the same way and this would work out of the box.

You can see that here:

But if it doesn’t, then its an entirely a different scenario to understand how your plugin works.  Your plugin may prompt for an email address, pre-populate them for the users’ social account (where permitted), or completely make it optional for the user to not provide an email address, etc.  

Assuming your plugin doesn’t integrate with Klaviyo for you, if you know you can get the users’ email via the plugin, you may have to modify their plugin code to also programmatically add the emails to Klaviyo as profiles, and for those who consent to marketing, add them as a Subscriber to a Klaviyo List. If you have technical resources, you can see more info about Klaviyo API here:

I also encourage you to post questions in the “Developers” section here in this community where people who do these custom implementations may provide you some additional feedback!