Solved

Advice For Switching Email-Service Providers Just Before Black Friday?

• 18 November 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +4

I just switched my sign up forms from Mailchimp to Klaviyo last week and I’ve already gotten a few sign ups.

I guess I should have thought through this strategy before Black Friday but I happened to see something about it being a good idea to “Warm Up” your list when you switch where your emails are coming from.

Do I have time to do that before Black Friday? Am I asking for trouble starting my very first campaigns as big BFCM promotions?

I thought about sending my promotions via Mailchimp and ease into Klaviyo, but #1, I was hoping to skip another month of double paying for my newsletters - it’s not a super big deal, but would be nice. Plus, my promotions wouldn’t go to the new sign ups. I suppose I could manually add in Mailchimp.

Appreciate any advice on how to proceed. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 19 November 2021, 00:04

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Leslie Nicole,

Thanks for sharing your question with us! I understand why you’d want some input from others on this situation! 

Yes, when you migrate to Klaviyo from another email-service provider there are certain steps you need to take to ensure the transition is smooth and your deliverability doesn’t drop. Typically, it takes 2-4 weeks to warm your account

I’d love to loop in @retention, @Mailbox Manny, and @NJVasic to hear their advice for this BFCM strategy question! 

Thanks for being a part of the Community!

-Taylor 

Badge +4

Hi @Leslie Nicole,

Typically, it takes 2-4 weeks to warm your account

I didn’t know about warming the list until I had already switched my forms over to Klaviyo and I have a welcome flow with an opt-in gift.

I’m kind of in a pickle because I would have to redo everything back to Mailchimp and create a flow in Mailchimp which I don’t know how to do.

I was thinking of doing one last campaign in Mailchimp tomorrow. I suppose I can tell people to look for my BFCM notices and cross my fingers the Klaviyo emails go through after. Or, maybe I can manually add any new subscribes to Mailchimp and do my BFCM emails through Mailchimp and after start switching to Klaviyo?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hey @Leslie Nicole & @Taylor Tarpley!

If I were to advise any clients of mine, I’d definitely recommend staying on Mailchimp until the end of November. I prefer being safe rather than being sorry, especially in this month when boost in sales is expected. 

I’d switch over to Klaviyo after Cyber Monday, and then you should have enough time to warm up your account before Christmas. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi all, 

Thanks for hopping in here @NJVasic! I couldn’t agree with you more, if you don’t want to commit to warming just yet, I would stick with Mailchimp to send your campaigns for BFCM and then transition fully after that. 

However, it should be noted that whenever switch from one email-service provider to the other, it is best to do it as soon as possible. If marketing is coming from your company via two different providers i.e. flows, campaigns, it could cause email providers to be suspicious of your brand.

For when you are ready to switch fully, you should investigate whether or not you were on a dedicated sending domain in Mailchimp, and if so, to set one up in Klaviyo as well. 

Finally, here are some helpful Community Posts that will help offer more insight in the transition:

Thanks for being a part of the Community!

-Taylor 

Badge +4

Hi all,

However, it should be noted that whenever switch from one email-service provider to the other, it is best to do it as soon as possible. If marketing is coming from your company via two different providers i.e. flows, campaigns, it could cause email providers to be suspicious of your brand.

Thanks so much, Taylor. So, do I have to switch all my forms back to Mailchimp until after BFCM?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Leslie Nicole

You could keep your Klaviyo forms active, however, you would need to turn off any Flow connected to the attached Lists subscribes are added to upon form submission. This would be to prevent any outgoing messages from Klaviyo for the time being. 

Additionally, I inquired more with fellow colleagues and they shared that sending from Klaviyo would be ok in your situation, albeit if it’s only to your highly-engaged audience. Balancing sending from two providers might require extra-effort and consciousness, however, it really is your call on what’s best for you and your business in this BFCM season! 

Wishing the best for you! 

-Taylor 

Badge +4

Hi @Leslie Nicole

You could keep your Klaviyo forms active, however, you would need to turn off any Flow connected to the attached Lists subscribes are added to upon form submission. This would be to prevent any outgoing messages from Klaviyo for the time being. 

Additionally, I inquired more with fellow colleagues and they shared that sending from Klaviyo would be ok in your situation, albeit if it’s only to your highly-engaged audience. Balancing sending from two providers might require extra-effort and consciousness, however, it really is your call on what’s best for you and your business in this BFCM season! 

Wishing the best for you! 

-Taylor 

Boy, this is tough as I had already disconnected my shop from Mail Chimp. I think I can still send emails though.

I could turn off my welcome flow in Klaviyo, but how can I redirect my confirmation email to an URL? I need to deliver my freebies promised. I can’t find this in my search. I’m probably using the wrong vocabulary. I’m sure Klaviyo must have this feature to direct to a page rather than sending the confirmation by email? (After the double opt-in)

Never mind - just found it. :-)